• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wels Catfish - The Debate Thread

I hooked a seal once near Aberdaron on the lleyn and it gave a good account of itself. 😃
nigh on impossible not to hook them at the mouth of the Tees when mackerel bashing - certainly some squeaky bum moments as the spool empties and you're trying to pull for a break.
Orcas are making their way South ( spotted off Bempton cliffs nr Scarborough last month) so hopefully Mother Nature will redress the balance.

They are definitely in the Thames around Oxford, due to flooding from Linear's St. John's into the Windrush on more than one occasion. St. John's has done a Wels close to 100lbs so goodness knows how big they could be!

Been catfishing with Tony the last couple of summers which has been very enjoyable and if you hooked one of the bigger fish on your barbel gear in a river say bye bye you will not stop it. this fish scrapped like nothing i have hooked before using a 4.5lb catfish rod and 30lb line.
My pb so far at 64.5lb
64.5lb 24-8-23.JPG
20230824_213857.jpg

Most of my aping, summer and autumn fishing is now dedicated to UK wels catfish. I’m just back from a 48 hour trip to a hard water in Kent. I managed three, which all best my old pb. They went 67lbs, 81lbs and my newest pb, 85lbs 4oz. To say I’m pleased is an understatement!!
Looking good tony 😁

Been catfishing with Tony the last couple of summers which has been very enjoyable and if you hooked one of the bigger fish on your barbel gear in a river say bye bye you will not stop it. this fish scrapped like nothing i have hooked before using a 4.5lb catfish rod and 30lb line.
My pb so far at 64.5lb
This is why I doubt some of the large catfish reported as coming out of the lower Severn.
G.T.

Back