• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Weir pools- how on earth do you fish those then?

Howard Cooke

On bits of the Kennet I fish, there are a couple of weir pools. One is pretty big. To me, they look mysterious and exciting. But I always walk past them because I don't have a clue really how to fish them. I would probably end up checking a feeder somewhere in the middle and then hoping for the best.

Any general tips would be appreciated chaps as I wouldn't mind giving them a go.

i haven't a clue either Howard!

I remember watching John Wilson chucking a lump of meat right under the weir itself if that helps ( dont seem to recall him catching a barbel tho, im pretty sure it was a large bream )

before I give you my 2ps worth are you referring to a weir "pool" as the same thing as a weir?

Jy

before I give you my 2ps worth are you referring to a weir "pool" as the same thing as a weir?

Jy

Well John, you have instantly highlighted my total ignorance of these watery conundrums. The ones I am thinking of have a waterfall bit, then violent white frothy nonsense moving into a good flow and round the edges, deep and almost pond like sections.

Howard somewhere in that pool and flow the bottom will shelve up ! thats one spot to concentrate on
under the sills are another good spot ,
undercut banks in the pool again good,
the run off down stream off the pool again good,
another useful spot is where the flow comes back on itself in the pool,
hope this gives you a starting point, good luck:)

My 2ps worth....

First you need to lead around as previould said most weirs have snags find them and fish close;)

Another thing to look for are some weirs have shelves and therefore don't go straight down they just might have a step in them. Your lead will find this.

The weir I fish tends to be quite deep and so lends itself to being a very good winter spot.

Fish tight to the wall and dont let the raging water on top bother you. Its nothing like that at the bottom! ( not being a big head but I am an ex army canoeng instructor and I have been to the bottom ).

These are normally fantastic pegs at the right time of year,

good luck and may be you can feed back your success

Jy:)

Howard if you look at the top of the web site page , You will see Articles and if you click on it , You will see Technical and Factual . Go to page 2 and there is a Article , Fishing weir pools by Graham Marsden .
Hope that helps ?

Joe, just had a quick read and yes, it certainly does! Also, Graham accurately describes in his opening paragraph my current anxiety at the prospect of tackling a raging weir. Suspect it will come down to just giving it a good go and following a few guiding principles. Thanks.

It will surprise you how little weight will hold the bottom as in most cases the eddys will flow the opposite way to the current of the weir usually better side fish holding in the eddys of weir shelf rite in the white warter have faith in ur bait being on even if ur feeder/lead is rolling about!!

Joe, just had a quick read and yes, it certainly does! Also, Graham accurately describes in his opening paragraph my current anxiety at the prospect of tackling a raging weir. Suspect it will come down to just giving it a good go and following a few guiding principles. Thanks.

Howard as you you say , Give it a good go and I think once you have fished it a couple of times you will soon find where the fish are to be found and caught . Good luck in your quest

Back