• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Weed rake

Paul Dowgill

Having a few weeks for tench...a lot of silk weed - does any so one know of an effective rake....i don't own a spod rod and will be only needing 10m max distance.

I made my own years ago with a couple of cheap garden rake heads which I secured back to back using cable ties then attached some 6mm polypropylene. Does the job and still in one piece after about 20 years.

I had one made a few years ago tbh it's way too big. But there's a few on eBay now that look decent.

I brought two cheap rake heads yonks ago , flattened the hollow necks and welded them back to back. Then drilled a hole through the end of the welded necks to secure a length of strong rope.
Must say that it only achieved lots of splashing and not much weed removal !:D
It has since proved more useful removing small snags from the river.
If depth of swim and rules allows,... wading in with a long handled rake is far more successful , ... got to be keen though !:D
ATB Dave.

Life is too short for a bit of welding and blue peter diy... some of the guys on the lake do get in wearing chest waders and clear small areas...as you say not that keen and i am only interested in margin float fishing and not using the rigs i cannot spell never mind understand :D

Saw that one and couldn't believe it....not for anglers , well not those where i fish. The Carleton ones are not available any more but something very similar on ebay...

We spend money left, right and centre on rods/reels/alarms/gadgets etc. but when it comes to something we think should be cheaper (because a rake costs very little in ALDI) we say no to it. If you watch the video clip of it aquaplaning across the surface before being allowed to sink, it is in fact very well designed for the task. OK so we're all primarily barbel anglers, but if we fished stillwaters regularly for tench, would we be thinking differently?

We spend money left, right and centre on rods/reels/alarms/gadgets etc. but when it comes to something we think should be cheaper (because a rake costs very little in ALDI) we say no to it. If you watch the video clip of it aquaplaning across the surface before being allowed to sink, it is in fact very well designed for the task. OK so we're all primarily barbel anglers, but if we fished stillwaters regularly for tench, would we be thinking differently?

I'm primarily a stillwater angler - tench being my favourite species. I just couldn't be bothered lugging such a bulky rake down to the bank - but more importantly I don't mind the big splash caused by the rake being hurled in (assuming there are no fish in the swim) as tench are often attracted to the disturbance.

I agree with your wider point about how prioritise the money we spend on tackle - some anglers think nothing of spending a small fortune on rods and reels but then scrimp on terminal tackle and bait.

I have a Jake's rake with removable stock and screw thread a great rake and much better and lighter than my home made one. The screw thread is useful for attaching to a landing net handle for margins, shallow runs and pulling the weed up the bank and out of the way at the end of a clearing session

Back