• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Weather Update

I was watching the weather on the box a day or two back, and the forecaster said "We consider winter to be the months of December, January and February". Really? I understand that global warming is now generally accepted as fact, but even if it is, all it seems to have done for the UK is make the weather extremes more extreme...and more frequent.

However, the weather is still generally cold, windy, wet and **** from at least the beginning of November to the end of March, much as it always was. So, why do they not accept that winter actually lasts that long, and that Spring could probably be considered as April, May and June, summer July and August (if you are very lucky), leaving September and October as autumn.

To my mind, the word 'seasons' is meant to be an indicator of the type of weather you can expect at that time...and although global warming has made the distinctions more blurred, those periods I have put forward, in my mind at least, are more realistic than those claimed (apparently) by the weather forecasters. Obviously I am talking 'on average' here...we can all remember glorious days in October and snow in May or whatever, but they are exceptions.

There....that's my moan for the day :D:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Staying cool the next few days and the getting a little warmer the middle of next week,could be ok for the last few days of the season,fingers crossed

Hope so Trevor I want to spend the last two days on the Wye but if the cold persists well into next week I won't be making a 200 mile round trip

Sitting fishing in the sun on the Kennet Wasing Estate lovely sunny clear day. But a cold wind. No bites yet.

Winter seems to have shifted in my opinion. It used to start at the end of October, and then start to get milder in March. These days it seems to start at the end of December, and runs to the end of April. Last 'Spring' was cold if I remember rightly.

Winter seems to have shifted in my opinion. It used to start at the end of October, and then start to get milder in March. These days it seems to start at the end of December, and runs to the end of April. Last 'Spring' was cold if I remember rightly.

I think there is as ever a regional thing going on John, the North/South divide if you like. I often look at the weather map on the box, look at the direction and effects of the fronts coming across the country. That hasn't changed much, with the prevailing direction being from West to East, and the worst of it being north of the divide. However, I get the impression that as you say, there seems to be a swing in the seasons for the Northen half of the country in particular.

Cheers, Dave.

Weather here, 22 degrees, sunny with a light to moderate south westerly !
Just thought I would cheer you all up.
Sorry guys but Madeira is great at this time of year.
Mike

I understand that global warming is now generally accepted as fact, but even if it is, all it seems to have done for the UK is make the weather extremes more extreme...and more frequent.

Dave - the phenomenon is known as climate change, rather than global warming. Even if it's the latter that's actually taking place, the effects are not always warming - more usually extreme weather of some variety. At least, that is my reading of the situation. :)

I saw that a good fish came out of the Dove yesterday, so someone was brave enough...

Back