• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Waterproof jacket

Nigel Whittingham

Senior Member & Supporter
Just for interest, i normally buy Berghaus Goretex jackets for fishing (Cornice) & over the years have noticed them getting worse, quality wise. The last one cost £170 (they last about 5 years) and although waterproof, is really thin material and saturates when wet. Doesn't let water through but ‘feels’ wet (if that makes sense?) but they do tear and snag easily due to the thin material (used to be a lot thicker)
I look after them and wash regularly in Nikwax wash & reproofer etc but have tried a Brasher Grisedale from Blacks this time, not goretex but very waterproof, windproof & feels a bit more hard wearing. Only used for one (very wet) season so far but am happier with it than the Berghaus so far. Better pockets, hood & fit and hasn't let any water through so far. Will wash & treat same as goretex when needed so expect to get same or better usage out of it for almost half the price 👍

I too have noticed a distinct decline in quality in the products of most of the "big name" outdoor clothing companies over the years. At one time, Gore-tex was the only choice for effective waterproofing, but there are now so many alternatives on offer that are just as good, without needing re-activation in a tumble dryer after every wash. I use Hoggs of Fife waterproofs and find them much better (and better value) than Berghaus, Craghoppers, etc.

Last winter I switched to Jacket & Trousers from Mountain Warehouse. They're both light so warmer fleece type clothing is required underneath.

Glacier II long jacket is 10,000 waterproof and 5,000 breathable. RRP around £120 but often on offer at around £80.

Extreme Downpour Over Trousers are similar waterproof/breathable ratings. RRP around £80 offers around £55.

Used several times last winter/spring, including a couple of very heavy rain days, worked a treat and very happy with their performance.

I have had a Berghaus Cornice for some years now, it doesn't get a lot of use now, but it's quite a few years old. You do notice how much thinner that jacket is compared to other goretex jackets but would imagine that might be down to it using thinner outer and inner fabrics.
Whilst there are lots of fabrics that can be considered waterproof, I am not sure they are close in comparison to the likes of Goretex and Sympatex when it comes to performance.
I would struggle to look at a jacket that wasn't Goretex Pro to be honest, such is it's performance.

Like lots of things, the strive for lightness affects everything. I've an old Sprayway GTX coat that has never let water in, but weighs a ton. I've also got both a Berghaus and Mountain Equipment GTX coat, that whilst very light, doesn't keep me dry. I think the newer coats are just designed towards the weight issue rather than waterproofness.

I'm not sure GTX is all that anyway. I came off Fleetwith pike a few years ago. It was drizzling, I put my ME coat on, but ended up just as wet as if I'd not worn it. The coat just couldn't deal with the sweat.

I think there are many good (maybe better, certainly less expensive) alternatives to GTX. Their ePTFE patent expired (mid ‘98 I think?) and in any case most manufacturers are moving away from ePTFE to ePE etc. GTX are certainly very good at marketing.

IMO ....If you want 'waterproof', and breathable then it's going to be expensive, it'll need looking after (washing/re-proofing/re-activating), and it will leak after a while (especially at the seams).

I now use a Snugpak Patrol Poncho (under £40) ....100% waterproof, needs no care, can be worn over your pack, over the back of your chair when it's worn whilst you're sitting down, and is loose enough to not result in you sweating up that much (and it packs away very small).

Back