• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Water colour

Sean Heath

Hi All
I fished the Warks Avon yesterday and couldn't help but notice that the river has a really strange brown tinge/colour to it. It's not from any recent rain fall as it's just the wrong colour for that. I also noticed it about 2 weeks ago whilst walking another stretch. I heard reports that The Thames and my local river Cherwell is also the same colour!!
Has anyone got any suggestions as to what it is?? Personally I think it's some sort of Algae bloom but I'm not sure.. Whatever it is it's not helped the fishing that's for sure as very few fish were caught from 2 stretches that would normally produce dozens given the amount of anglers on them.
I would welcome your comments gentlemen..

The Cherwell always carries a tinge of colour Sean, not sure what causes it but even in low summer conditions it has a beer type tinge to it. Can't comment on the WA as I've not been up there yet this season

Last edited:
I cant speak for the WA but in the case of the Thames it IS algae bloom.
Interestingly the Thames usually suffers this in mid to end May so just another indication of how far behind we are in weather terms.

Richard

Hi Guys,
here at Throop on the Dorset Stour we have an Algae bloom every year, give it time and it will clear.
Brian.

The Cherwell always carries a tinge of colour Sean, not sure what causes it but even in low summer conditions it has a beer type tinge to it. Can't comment on the WA as I've not been up there yet this season

Hi Alex
Thanks for the message... Your right the Cherwell does normally carry a bit of colour but that's usually on the slower stretches.. To be fair sadly most of the Cherwell is slow almost canal like these days for one reason or another..

Back