• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Warwickshire Avon help

Hi guys - new on here so first post (well for several years anyway).

Just after a bit of a pointer - used to live half a mile from the Kennet until 2008 and did pretty well with Barbel up to 13lb, some hardcore Tench and Breaming too in the Thames and Colne Valleys and Kent. Then moved with work to Rugby in late 2008 and had 2 kids within 12 months which has meant minimal fishing (apart from a bit of fluff chucking once a year for the freezer) for the last 6 years.

My juices have started flowing again after a chance discussion about the W.Avon in Lane's in Coventry. It's a bit of a ditch on a lot of the stretches round the town (although I've found spots with fish in but no lumps) and so I'm expecting to have to travel a bit to the middle sections toward Warwick and Stratford. My style is a small scale baiting campaign on a stretch with several short sessions and move on type of approach (haven't really got time to do much else to be honest), but after bigger fish (aren't we all). Winter and back end campaigns are my favourite (ie. next few months) - don't mind flood water at all and don't Barbel fish in the summer.

Lane's recommended the Leamington Spa AA stretch at Lucy's Mill for the chance of bigger fish, but I didn't know if there was anywhere worth targeting a bit closer to home? Are there bigger fish throughout or is it patchy? Not too worried about lots of bites and prefer to get off the beaten track rather than fish shoulder to shoulder.

Off my home patch up here in the Midlands so any pointers would be gratefully received - not asking to be spoon-fed at all and appreciate there's a lot of us new guys asking for help. Just a recommendation on a decent club book to buy would be a start - really keen to see if my Kennet approach works up here.

Many Many thanks chaps - PMs of course or direct me to threads in the archive (which I'm trying to work through!)

Cheers, Lloyd.

Welcome Lloyd try on the Warwickshire Avon thread on the rivers section. Best of luck with the information your looking for very well put I may add. Hope someone helps you out good luck.

Hi men,

Lloyd , Clive is right , paste the question onto the Wark Avon thread on the river reports , it may help . BAA waters join the stretch your on about , and Barford is just upstream . Bit downstream you have a few dayticket bits .

Hatter

hi lloyd,probably the best book to buy would be leamington angling association which will cover your needs for peace and quite at wasperton or the sometimes madhouse at lucys mill. i've fished alot at lucys and there are some big barbel in there as i've caught them and photos to prove it. Its also a day ticket stretch and quite a revelation to anyone used to solitude,anything from half a dozen dogs trying to nick your bait to tourists with 60 questions a minute.many great memories though.further downstream its stratford on avon fishing club. Feel free to email me. andygrummett@hotmail.com

Lloyd,

Try the Birmingham anglers association waters. Salford priors throws up a few big fish if you venture down stream. Barton is another good stretch to try below the wier. Bidford on avon can produce some nice fish too. Go on the website BAA and have a look at the waters you can fish all for 40 English pounds a year.

Back