• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Warwichshire Avon Chub

Graham Tremble

Hi Guys,
I've been fishing the Warwickshire Avon for years now but have never caught a Chub over 5lbs. At what weight would you consider a 'specimen' W/A Chub to be?
Regards,
Graham.

Hi Graham,
In my opinion anything over 4 1/2 is very good and over 5 could be considered specimen.
Not sure what the record is but my guess would be high 6?
Anyone know what the actual record is?

Hi guys,

A 'Specimen' size chub for the Warks Avon I would say has got to be in the region of 5+. The amount of chub this river now has is staggering. I had 4 over 5 and a 6 last season (all different fish). I know Pershore did a 6.7 about 10 years ago to a match angler. Not sure what the 'official' record is tho.

Cheers Lewis

Warwickshire Avon Chub

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your replies on the forum and P.M's. The general point of view is that anything over 5lb could be considered a 'specimen' and that a 6lber is a' fish of a lifetime'. Nobody was able to report a 'seven' so possibly the river does not contain fish of this size.
Best Regards,
Graham.

Biggest I've ever seen or heard about came from the Wasperton stretch 12(ish) years ago in a match, 6lb 10oz.
IMO 5lb+ is a realistic target, fair few in the fives but for a true goal, I'd aim six upwards, might be tough but they're in there so all the more rewarding for the effort.

With the numbers of 3 - 5lbers present and relatively poor recruitment I'm sure you'll see the top-end weight increase over the next couple years.

Several 6lb plus chub reported on the upper reaches last season and one seven made it into the angling times aswell back of the summer.

One 6lb 14oz chub was captured in a match last year which is our current stretch record,

i'd have to say 5lb for the whole river .

My PB for the Avon's 5lb 11oz caught two seasons back on the last day, the biggest of 5, 5lb plus chub caught in the last two weeks that year, think the picks in my album.....

Last edited:
Evening All,

A 5lb+ chub would be specimen on the Avon for sure :eek::eek:.Can't seem to find the chub like there use to be years ago,not sure where they've gone or it mite just be me but there not in there numbers any more :confused::confused:

Cheers Ian :)

alittle of topic but.......Is there an warks Avon record list for all species contained in the river? or any river for that matter?

Barbel we think we know because of the river records list but as for Chub roach dace perch pike etc etc anybody know?

Warwickshire Avon Chub

Hi Ian,
I would describe the Chub population on the upper river as prolific myself Ian. The problem is normally getting through the smaller Chub who gobble the bait before any ' specimens' have a chance to dine!
Regards,
Graham.

alittle of topic but.......Is there an warks Avon record list for all species contained in the river? or any river for that matter?

Barbel we think we know because of the river records list but as for Chub roach dace perch pike etc etc anybody know?

For Chub, I think the Chub Study Group have one......

Back