• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Warmest socks

Chris Thomson

Hi, its that time of year again, and im someone who suffers with cold feet badly, any recommendations on warm socks please, merino wool ones seem highly recommended but theres a minefield of info regarding wool content etc, anyone point me towards a pair would be appreciated

Hi, its that time of year again, and im someone who suffers with cold feet badly, any recommendations on warm socks please, merino wool ones seem highly recommended but theres a minefield of info regarding wool content etc, anyone point me towards a pair would be appreciated
What is Bridgedale’s warmest sock?
Tested at -25°C, Explorer Heavyweight Knee are the warmest Bridgedales in the range.

shop around for the best price

I too suffer(ed) from cold feet so bought some of these off eBay last winter :
But I reckon feet, as with the rest of your body, is best insulated via layering. When fishing in winter I now wear a normal pair of 'summer' socks plus a pair of socks detailed above to travel to fishing venue. On arrival I then put on a chunky pair of woollen socks before my neoprene wellies. This seems to have sorted all my previous discomfort problems.
With 3 pairs for £8, I consider above a bargain.

I would consider the right boots more important than the socks. Having bought a pair of Muck Boots Arctic Sport I have found the type of sock irrelevant and better to have a little room around your foot than wear thick socks that then make the boots tight and restrict blood flow.

I would consider the right boots more important than the socks. Having bought a pair of Muck Boots Arctic Sport I have found the type of sock irrelevant and better to have a little room around your foot than wear thick socks that then make the boots tight and restrict blood flow.
I'll very much agree with that. Always used to suffer terribly with cold feet until I started using Merino wool thermal underwear (Marks & Sparks about £40) combined with the Arctic sport Muckboots. Likewise, no need for extra socks at all. Just wear normal thin socks.
I'd point out that the Arctic sport spec. has changed since I got mine and they're now fleece lined. I think this would be TOO warm and if I needed to replace mine it would be with Muckmasters which are more or less the same as the old Arctic sport.

What is Bridgedale’s warmest sock?
Tested at -25°C, Explorer Heavyweight Knee are the warmest Bridgedales in the range.

shop around for the best price

Thanks for link Gerry

Ordered some for cold water wading this winter. I try to keep using breathables as long as possible as they are far more comfortable, its only when the temp really drops that I change to neoprenes. My feet suffer first but hopefully they will make a difference...

Cheers

Thanks for link Gerry

Ordered some for cold water wading this winter. I try to keep using breathables as long as possible as they are far more comfortable, its only when the temp really drops that I change to neoprenes. My feet suffer first but hopefully they will make a difference...

Cheers
Did a fair bit of wading this spring wearing breathable waders, from February, not in the water so much but because if I did catch a Salmon I'd need to be to able to release it.
Obviously the breathables have neoprene feet but using the same thin socks as with the Muckboots I didn't once get cold feet and I've got Reynards disease which is poor bloodflow to the extremities.
I was however using the merino wool underwear. Pretty sure this is the key to cold weather fishing. Can't express how much difference using this has made to my winter fishing.
Got an almost new pair of neoprenes gathering dust if you're interested. £50. XL.

Did a fair bit of wading this spring wearing breathable waders, from February, not in the water so much but because if I did catch a Salmon I'd need to be to able to release it.
Obviously the breathables have neoprene feet but using the same thin socks as with the Muckboots I didn't once get cold feet and I've got Reynards disease which is poor bloodflow to the extremities.
I was however using the merino wool underwear. Pretty sure this is the key to cold weather fishing. Can't express how much difference using this has made to my winter fishing.
Got an almost new pair of neoprenes gathering dust if you're interested. £50. XL.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the offer for the neoprene waders, but I'm ok as already have a decent pair

With you on the merino underwear, I got a set a few seasons back and they do make a real difference. My fishing in winter is generally very mobile and when I fish for grayling on some of the rivers in Scotland I can cover up to 6 miles in a day, so it's about getting that balance right of keeping warm in the water and not overheating when moving swims

Thanks for the reply

Back