• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

warm winter coat

Daiwa Igloo suit, showerproof but very warm and comfortable. I upgraded last year to a Preston suit and although it’s much better quality it’s not as comfortable or warm.

I have an Eisenhower fleece from Dickies a few years ago and only wear it in the coldest of days. It's like putting on summer

Still got my forces Snugpak softie and found nothing better. Heres one on ebay, and you can find them even cheaper.

I've got a snugpak as well, weighs nothing, very warm & with a lightweight shell type top is fine in wet weather. It's reversible, with the desert beige on the other side, which will be handy when global warminng really kicks in!

Snugpak is definitely worth the money and British made 👍

However, have a look at the Aqua F12 Thermal Jacket. It is exceptional quality and super warm. I got the jacket and matching trousers this year from Santa. :cool:

Hi men

I have a snugpak Fortis 6 , it's a longer style jacket and warm enough for me , but I think I should have gone for the 9 now as it's shorter in length and possible more suitable for me .

Hatter

It's not the coat that keeps you warm, it's the base layers. Yes the coat must be wind and waterproof but, the base layers are essentially what keep you warm. I wear long sleeved thermal t-shirt/vest and long johns, then a t-shirt, then a fleece, and then a good sized thick hoodie, then the coat. I'll wear over trousers over the long johns. A good beanie is essential also.

It's not the coat that keeps you warm, it's the base layers. Yes the coat must be wind and waterproof but, the base layers are essentially what keep you warm. I wear long sleeved thermal t-shirt/vest and long johns, then a t-shirt, then a fleece, and then a good sized thick hoodie, then the coat. I'll wear over trousers over the long johns. A good beanie is essential also.
exactly what i had on yesterday ... was still bloody freezing

Look out for a second hand Musto Whisper on the bay. Got one for £100 about 5 years ago. great investment, warm as toast....

I rate the Buffalo Mountain Shirt. Bought one on special from Johnson Ross a few years back.
With a thicker merino wool base layer and a 25-year old Paramo directional sweater underneath it keeps me warm enough for my winter piking sessions.
If it's starts raining a light-gortex waterproof jacket adds the finishing touch.

I rate the Buffalo Mountain Shirt. Bought one on special from Johnson Ross a few years back

They look spot on, Joe.
Overall, however, I go with the Chris Guy approach, re; base layers and a waterproof/breathable outer. I sat on the Upper Trent last weekend and felt pretty toasty.

Stood in the snow, on a freezing winter night, in the middle of the river mersey at low tide at perch rock. a t-shirt, snugpack jacket ( bought off this forum ), Aldi bib n brace, and a waterproof nash ops jacket over the top ( bought from mr G Elliott ) snug as a bug in a rug. 👍

Back