• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wanted - Avon rod

Paul Collins

My faithful old Diawa Avon rod broke just above the spigot the other evening, bringing in a small Tench and a big clump of weed. So, need to get a replacement.
Having a look online yesterday I was surprised at how few rods fit my criteria, which are:-
Good make
No longer than 11'
1 1/4 lb test curve
Full cork handle

The Drennan twin tip is the obvious choice but I looked at one recently and I thought it was a bit cheap and nasty, a little bit stiff, and no case!!
I don't mind paying up for something classy like a Harrison or Chimera.

Anyone got anything cluttering up their rod room?

Cheers
Paul

Contact Chas Burns at Burns built rods 07719 788036 he builds rods to your spec on Harrison Blanks , he is a master rod builder , produces some lovely work at reasonable prices , if you go with him you will not be disappointed . If you ring him mention my name.or E mail Chas@burnsbuiltrods.co.uk

Thanks Mike
I had a look on the website and it certainly looks like the rods are beautifully made and a fair price.
I hadn't really thought of new, was after something used.
They may well get a call if nothing turns up, very tempting.

I should have added carbon to my criteria.
Glass B&W mk 4 avon will have to do for now, I'm in no rush to go back to cane, thanks.

I was only jesting Paul , the Bruce and Walker glass Avon is a very nice rod . other than the being a little heavier than Carbon they are well up for their intended job , getting pretty scarce and collectable these days

What about the Dave Mason river rod, by Andy Sliwa? I have one, never really use it, but it would seem to fit your criteria, 10'.6' all 'thru action, and will put the brakes on anything that swims.

Nice wooden reel seat. :)

Morning Neil . Having recently taken VR from my job with the council [ 33 years of slavery !] I am now in the process setting myself up in a little enterprise buying selling and restoring vintage fishing tackle , principally cane rods . I have x2 completed cane Avon rods ready at the moment , if you want some pictures just E mail me on mike.hodgkiss@googlemail.com and I will send you some . I haven't learnt how to upload pictures on to a forum yet , on my to do list . Now you had best crack on with gluing and sanding your corks , my least favourite job with rod restoration other than varnishing :D

Morning Neil . Having recently taken VR from my job with the council [ 33 years of slavery !] I am now in the process setting myself up in a little enterprise buying selling and restoring vintage fishing tackle , principally cane rods . I have x2 completed cane Avon rods ready at the moment , if you want some pictures just E mail me on mike.hodgkiss@googlemail.com and I will send you some . I haven't learnt how to upload pictures on to a forum yet , on my to do list . Now you had best crack on with gluing and sanding your corks , my least favourite job with rod restoration other than varnishing :D

Just dug out the bag there in...I was hoping you would put up some 'filth' on here, but as you say pics can be a problem, I just paste the things on, seems to work.
Good luck with your new venture, I am sure you will find it more rewarding than actual work!! You will have a willing and ready customer base on here, that's for sure.:)

Thanks for the pics Mike, looks very nice.

Back