• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Walthamstow

Richard Booty

Senior Member & Supporter
I have got some time on my hands in the coming months and I was planning on having a go on Walthamstow and see if I can catch a big bream amongst other things. Has anybody got any advice? I was probably going to fish No. 1 or Mallard.

I fished Walthamstow reservoirs for many years but mostly for Trout, not for about 10 years now though.
From what I can remember it was 2/3 that held the big Bream, grown fat on the vast quantities of Carp bait going in. I remember a feature in one of the comics detailing how by scaling the tackle down a bit and targeting the Bream some very big ones were caught.
The feature may well have been by Andy Little, and possibly involved groundbait and casters.
Best of luck with it.
What's Mallard?

I think I've got my Maynards and Mallards mixed up. We've already established that I've gone a bit funny by targeting Bream.

No 1 is more prolific for big Bream although No2 holds bigger specimens they
are a much harder proposition.
No 1 is not hard , the first couple of swims opposite the big island will do you , but you do need to have gear capable of casting to the island.
Groundbait feeder and dead red maggots or pop up fake corn is the most used
method.

Hope this helps.

Ps there is a KHV issue at Walthamstow at the moment so you should check before travelling.

A little correction, There was never a KHV issue at Walthamstow. There was asmall indication of a bacterial infection and precautions were made to limit any harm....as such, no harm was done.

For anyone interested, Walthamstow is definitely worth a go for the Bream, or indeed for the Carp if you are that way inclined. Personally I don't have enough tattoo's to be a Carp Angler….

I only visited a handful of times in the end, but had 8-9 Bream including three doubles and a new PB of 11lb 2oz. The No. 1 is by far and away the easiest venue with the biggest challenge being the 100 yard chuck to get where the fish are. I had success with Method Feeders and chopped down boilies and fake corn. I also witnessed a couple of clonking Carp from the No. 2/3 and also from Lower Maynard. Given that it's only a 25 minute drive from my flat it was well worth doing.

Any fishing advice from Richard Borley is likely to be spot on Richard, as you discovered....even if the KHV bit was possibly inaccurate :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back