• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wading Boot Stud Pattern?

Declan Doherty

Hi all.. I've just invested in some breathable waders with seperate, felt soled boots. I've got a bag of studs, and the question is, what pattern and how many should I use? I believe the maxim 'less is more' applies, but I don't want to find myself breaking a leg on the bank or floating down the Ouse!

Declan

Personally I don't use studs with my felt soled wading shows. I only use them in small rivers when fly fishing and the noise they make underwater can scare fish away. For wading in rivers with muddy bottoms and banks where felt soles are just to slippy I use some trainers with vibram soles. I also use these when wearing the waders for the occassional trip into the river (deliberate ones rather than the accidental ones!) to trot for barbel or chub.

I concour Pete, felt soles are not at all what you need for muddy banks. I have some with studs and for all they're worth they might as well be manufactured by Teflon.
Far better to either have a specially designed sole for the bankside with a deep tread pattern, or use a pair of old boots.

Regards,

Damian Kimmins

I've found that on clay or mud that you need a few extra studs around the toe and along the outside of the sole. I put a few extra's on mine and can clamber about on any surface.

I'll try and put a picture on later to show the pattern.

Photo0114.jpg

Back