• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

wader repair

Cliff Turner

Senior Member & Supporter
I've sprung a leak in one of my waders at just below knee level. They are just basic rubber thigh length ones. Haven't located the exact spot yet but assuming I do any suggestions on the best repair, was thinking of using a bicycle innertube repair kit ? Looks like there are some wader kits in the internet, anyone recommend any ? thanks

Aquasure for me too. You can buy it from diving supply shops and it can be used on it's own (for small repairs)or as an adhesive for a patch. It is amazing but beware, once opened it must be kept in the freezer and defrosted for each re-use (takes seconds in yer pocket).

just ordinary cycle puncture rair kit will do the job on rubber waders
if you havent found where the leaks are then check around the welds on feet, if still leaking try filling the waders full of water after you hang em up

Last edited:
John,
Mate you are wrong. In my experience 'Vulcanising Rubber Solution' eg tyre repair glue does not fix rubber waders (not permanently anyway).
I only found out about Aquasure through doing voluntary work tagging Salmon with the Fisheries Scientists at the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust who spend most of their time in the water in waders and frequently need to repair them.
It really is worth every penny if you want a lasting repair.

Last edited:
I used a puncture repair kit on mine and it lasted the life of the waders, the secret is in the preparation and leaving the repair under a pile of bricks for two weeks while you go on holiday.

Whether a cycle puncture repair kit works on rubber waders or not depends entirely (excuse the pun) on the plasticizers used in the rubber compound they are manufactured from. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. Bit like fishing really :D

Cheers, Dave.

thats why i said rubber, its not a nylon mixture ect;) yes its worked on mine for decades including salt water use

Not sure if it would work for Julian Assange (wikileaks) as he's in very hot water.

Seriously though, thanks for the Aquasure tip. :)

Back