• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Using a deep fat fryer for boiling particles

Sam Lloyd

Any reason you couldn't fill a fat fryer with water to use it as a boiler providing it had a thermostat to set it at 100C ? Getting a new shed and would rather cook hemp ect in there than the house ... Parents disaprove of the smell :rolleyes:

I don't see a problem with that Sam,presuming the fryer your going to use has thermostat control,I recall on some other forums quite a few lads using deep fat fryers,for hemp and boilies.Failing that a tea urn or burco would also do a nice amount of particles with very little hassle.

well i have a fat fryer which i won't need next year so i thought rather than throw it away i could use it in the way i said. thanks for the reply Mark :)

Know the feeling with disapproving comments regarding smell despite the mrs bringing her smelly hound into the house. I would rather the house be smelling like a tin of tuna than that of a barn. Freezing my bait - that's out of bounds too! Want to scream - just sign here...

Sorry if you doing the following already - presoak all particles for 24-72 hours prior to boiling just to lower the boiling times required. Regarding the fat fryer - should be fine. For belt & braces, you could use a circuit breaker on the plug just in case.

Cheers, Jon

Last edited:
Sam get yourself a large pan from a car boot, and i mean one that will take at least 2 gallon. Also a cooler box from either Tesco etc. As john says soak your bait, 3 or 4 days for me. Bring to the boil, but put boiling water from a kettle in just to get it started. As soon as its boiling tip in cooler box and put another kettle full of boiling water in and leave overnight.
I generally 3-4 gallon this way, which lasts me a couple of sessions in the summer, every last particle is then frozen for ron.

And yes you could get away with a chip pan, but could be imo slightly irresonsible, just in case it all goes Pete Tong.

Jon

The cooler box method saved me a lot of time working on a lake in France. I was using about 6 cooler boxes & a drum/burner set up that is normally used to melt 5lt bitumen blocks to prepare the particle. I was preparing approx 100kg wet weight of particles a day & boating / hand balling these out for up to 8 clients at a time. I made a killing. One of my visiting mates commented on that this was industrial baiting for fish. It worked a blinder as this was the first season that the water opened - the following season, big beds completely screwed the fishing.

Another method for preparing hemp quick is using drinking flasks - again sorry if you already aware. Half fill flask with hemp, add boiling water 24 hours prior to fishing. Nicely sprouted!

Cheers, Jon

Thanks guys, but yeah i've heard all that before, cool boxes/soak times/flasks ect ect... just thought i could use the fryer to save throwing it away at the end of term and also it could go in my shed as its got electric sockets :)
I've got a circuit breaker to somewhere so i should probably find that out now you mentioned it !!

the idea was kind of to use something i would otherwise get rid of, i'm not really looking to buy alternatives :eek: thanks for the suggestions though guys :)

Sam could you not get a single ring gas cooker to run off a bottle or even an electric on. IIRC you get a lot in the freeadds etc. You put a pot on it as big as you like then and in your shed. some thing like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Single-Boiling-Table-Comes-silver/dp/B0013HI1JQ

or this http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/details/22306.html

HTH

Cheers

Adie

the idea was kind of to use something i would otherwise get rid of, i'm not really looking to buy alternatives :eek: thanks for the suggestions though guys :)

Sorry, I thought as my suggestion was cheap, it was a viable option over the yet to be tested fat fryer. Good luck and I hope it works for what you want.

cheers

Adie

totally agree though ade its a good/cheap idea to use electric hobs, like i said i was just looking to use something rather than bin it !!

You might struggle to get a simmer with the fryer. Not that that would be a problem I suppose you could boil up then leave to stand

Definitely worth a try any way

Does one really need to boil/simmer something to cook it. As long as the proteins are disrupted (denatured) & the husk of the seed releases the oils from seed then job done?!?

Reuse is preferable to discarding. Might not be the most energy nor time efficient way - but I can see where you coming from.

Cheers, Jon

worked amazingly well!! all the seeds split perfectly, you can soak it on a warmer than usual temperature for a few hours before boiling it away. only difficulty is in getting the constant boil. mine as a thermostat but it was still a bit delayed in responding to me adjusting it. no more stinking out the house :D

Fried hemp would most likely float mate.

I used to use a fryer for boilies, works well for 2minute batches.

You tried the coolbox method (also works with a plain old bucket), that has to be the best way if smell is an issue.

Fried hemp would most likely float mate.

I used to use a fryer for boilies, works well for 2minute batches.

You tried the coolbox method (also works with a plain old bucket), that has to be the best way if smell is an issue.

not fried, filled it with water buddy :)

Back