• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Upton Fish Rescue,Photos over two days.

Chris Ponsford

Evening All,
Well thanks to wonderful response by Colin Harvey and Dave Tainton in alerting the EA on a bank holiday ,and saving fish,we were able to mobilise a significant team within two hours of start of play to be on site and immediately start rescuing the stranded fish.

Day one was with hand nets and transporting the fish straight back to the Severn,and today was with Electro gear catching them out of a fast running out ditch.

Some pics ,which will tell the story far better than me.

7167293272_ea46b8f76d_c.jpg

7167293874_d81e560583_z.jpg

7167294600_0881dd8d9c_z.jpg

7167295184_16742549a1_z.jpg

7167291908_d727e38344_z.jpg

7167295650_567ecde0b9_z.jpg

more to follow.

Cheers Graham.
So many Carp ! ,and yesterday shedloads of big bream and carp.
Today we had two small pike as well.

There were no zander,barbel ,perch ,roach .

Back tomorrow for another go for any stragglers or areas we have missed.

Great stuff Chris - highly commendable :)
Well done to Colin, Dave, yourself, the EA and all concerned - brilliant work.
Would have been tragic to lose those fish.
Must try a bit of carping at Upton next season !

Some cracking fish. I was wondering if it would be legal to fish for stranded fish? It seems such a wasted opportunity, those grateful fish that were caught could be returned to the river. And those fish that were not caught probably have an attitude problem anyway. It would save the problem of locating fish and various baits could be tried to see which would be the most effective. I can't see how it could contravene any close season rules as these stranded fish must technically be in a still water and certainly not breeding. I might add that if fish were gasping for air then then they should be netted and returned to the river immediately, fishing for them would be immoral. But those fish which were in a decent sized watery depression with their backs covered, and which seemed happy enough, would be fair game.

A MASSIVE PRAISE TO THOSE INVOLVED WELL DONE!!!!!! For those who wonder where our money goes from the rod license this is a fine example!!!!

Ditto the above, a massive well done. Didn,t realise there were so many carp in the Severn. Respect to all involved. :)

Brilliant stuff.

Once again, from someone who's club rents and owns a lot of water on the Severn, can I say thanks to all involved.

I recognise a few in those photos Chris..... Is that 'Smiler' holding a carp, and a cool looking Sam in his shades?

Also Chris, was this situation unique to Upton, or have their been reports of stranded fish on other stretches?
I'm thinking Worcester racecourse, which historically has fish stranded on it after a flood...

Steve

Brilliant stuff.

Also Chris, was this situation unique to Upton, or have their been reports of stranded fish on other stretches?
I'm thinking Worcester racecourse, which historically has fish stranded on it after a flood...

Steve

Steve, the going at Worcester for the racing on Sunday is Good to Soft, so I assume it isn't actually flooded!

Brilliant stuff.

Once again, from someone who's club rents and owns a lot of water on the Severn, can I say thanks to all involved.
I recognise a few in those photos Chris..... Is that 'Smiler' holding a carp, and a cool looking Sam in his shades?

Steve

It is indeed Smiler and Sam the man.

Worcester seemed to escape the worst of it this time ,but there are other places we are involved with.

More tomorrow,

Regards,
Pons.

Good stuff. I'm a bit concerned by the vehicle registration though!:eek:;):D

Hmm, I think I might have had my last 'chicken' fillet burger.

Well done to all involved.

Damian

Did they get washed out of the river ........or were they in a worm feeding Frenzy? or escaping the rivers power.

Serious question.

Excellent work and some wonder looking fish, bet they shift when you hit into one.

Well done to all those rescueing, from someone who enjoys the challenge of the Lower, and has not yet knowingly hooked one of those puddle pigs!Any more news on the rescues? Have the waters ran off the fields yet?
Had plenty of those Bream mind!!:D

Back