• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Upper Lea

Garry Howell

Just joined the Verulam Club for the upcoming season, I know the old Lea at Fishers Green can carry some water after heavy rain (fished Kings Weir in flood many times) but how does the Lee around Wheathampstead handle extra water?

Rarely floods and fishes very well with a bit of extra water on. Particularly for Barbel and Roach.
Once sat through a thunderstorm and the river came up about 8 inches when it had stopped. I had 10 Barbel in an hour, in daylight.
This was not at one of THE hot swims at Marford.
Welcome to the club, if you'd like any information on any of the venues or methods etc I'd be happy to help. Pm me.

Thanks Paul, might try to get down on Monday - but wouldn't get to Marford until about 7.00am - might not get a swim but at least I can look round properly.

Fish the Long walk its rarely fished, because the anglers at the 4.50 draw only fish the short walk.The swims are obvious,travel light, feed swims on the way down and fish on the way back.Make sure you go through the first club gate because its also the last and you do not want to have to climb over the wire (yes i did).Sometimes swims become available on the short walk around lunchtime because its such an early start. Any extra water blows the fishes minds and they feed like crazy.

Thanks Paul, might try to get down on Monday - but wouldn't get to Marford until about 7.00am - might not get a swim but at least I can look round properly.
First few days Marford is a bit unpredictable re numbers, a lot of people think it's going to be rammed so avoid it and its relatively empty, maybe they don't and it does get rammed. As Mark say it's rarely busy on the long walk.
I'll be on the Avon after Salmon Sunday, Monday but will be heading to the Leasey Bridge backwater soon after I get back. Float fishing for Roach, Tench and the occasional Barbel, what's not to like about that?
If the water is well up the lower number swims 1-6 at Marford short walk can fish very well particularly for Chub.
Some huge Dace in the bottom 4 swims.

Leasey Bridge is a far nicer place tha Marford. Fewer people no getting there at silly times nice and relaxed. Not the same number of fish as Marford but they are there. The lagoon bit holds some very big roach as well as tench.

Much more civilised place and easy bankside access.

Leasey Bridge is a far nicer place tha Marford. Fewer people no getting there at silly times nice and relaxed. Not the same number of fish as Marford but they are there. The lagoon bit holds some very big roach as well as tench.

Much more civilised place and easy bankside access.
Not the same amount of big Barbel certainly but a very healthy population of pristine young Barbel, naturally spawned. Mostly 1-3lb with quite a few 4 - 6lbers. Backwater fish more likely to be 6-8lb.
Probably my favourite venue.
Had 20 Tench from the backwater one evening a few years ago. Nothing massive but lovely to see.

Basically like everyone - cant wait to get back on the bank, will probably do a few hours at Marford if I can get on and then pop to Leasey Bridge for a quick look as I have never fished either.

When you get to Leasey turn your car round in the car park so you are facing towards the gate as you don't want to be backing out. It's bad enough driving out😊😊

Any rise in the level at Marford tends to happen during and straight after any rain and it goes down again pretty shortly after.

The long walk isn’t as quiet as it used to be and after the club cleared most of the trees and features I’m not sure that there are as many barbel in the stretch as there used to be but there are still plenty of fish in there.

Any rise in the level at Marford tends to happen during and straight after any rain and it goes down again pretty shortly after.

The long walk isn’t as quiet as it used to be and after the club cleared most of the trees and features I’m not sure that there are as many barbel in the stretch as there used to be but there are still plenty of fish in there.
Why clear the trees and features - don't think that it ever helps!

Why clear the trees and features - don't think that it ever helps!
It badly needed a haircut. I'm sure it will be fine now the foliage has grown back.
In case you don't know, at Marford a 26" landing net is mandatory. You can use a smaller one but you must have the bigger one in the swim. Measured from the spreader block to the top of the net.
Also barbless hooks only. Bought barbless, can't use crushed barb hooks.
The bailiffs do check hooks and measure nets.
Enjoy.

Last edited:
Not my cup of tea, getting up at stupid o'clock to queue up to draw lots for swims but it does avoid the violence.
I mainly fish it in the winter for the Roach and Dace, doing what I can to avoid the Barbel, but November / December that hour or two of darkness before the 6 o'clock off time can be very amusing. Best I managed last year was I think 10 between 4.15pm and 5.45pm, up to just under 10lbs.
It's not Barbel fishing as we know it but very welcome after a few blanks.
The HOT swims are mostly empty by dusk in the Winter. Having said that I've caught from almost all swims in that magic couple of hours, even swims a foot deep.
Leasey though is open till midnight and is my preferred venue.
Don't get bothered by the Barbel so much targeting the Roach.

It badly needed a haircut. I'm sure it will be fine now the foliage has grown back.
In case you don't know, at Marford a 26" landing net is mandatory. You can use a smaller one but you must have the bigger one in the swim. Measured from the spreader block to the top of the net.
Also barbless hooks only. Bought barbless, can't use crushed barb hooks.
The bailiffs do check hooks and measure nets.
Enjoy.
Thanks Paul, I have been fishing the Nene for the last few seasons with mixed results - the min net size there is 30" so that's not an issue and I haven't used a barbed hook for over 30 years (showing my age now), re the easy fishing at Marford Farm - I joined the club as much for Fishers Green as anything - but it does does sound like fun for an occasional ego boost! Might see you at Leasey on Monday. Thanks for all the advice.

You've also got access to the Ivel with your ticket. The Barbel have mostly been eaten by the Otters but the Chub, Roach and Perch fishing is very good.
Lots of Pike too.

You've also got access to the Ivel with your ticket. The Barbel have mostly been eaten by the Otters but the Chub, Roach and Perch fishing is very good.
Lots of Pike too.
Tried the Ivel a few years back - never did manage a barbel - had some great chub though!

The ivel still has a few barbel but you need to find them first further upstream than they used to be

If you bought the veralum ticket for fishers green you will also find the bank vegetation completely decimated... only in this case it was over zealous contractors employed by Lea valley and not over zealous bailiffs who think they are some kind of experts in fishery management

The ivel still has a few barbel but you need to find them first further upstream than they used to be

If you bought the veralum ticket for fishers green you will also find the bank vegetation completely decimated... only in this case it was over zealous contractors employed by Lea valley and not over zealous bailiffs who think they are some kind of experts in fishery management
Ho-hum

Back