• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Up and Across tips

Julian Marshall

Have a new stretch to fish this summer & one swim requires me to fish up & across a river approx 30yds wide. Slacker water near me - can`t easily wade out or would be happy trundling a bait through. Deeper water might just be 5 feet at far bank. Trees overhanging both banks. My old way of upstream legering would be to use minimum lead, tighten down & stop just before the lead shifted, strike when the tip moves back. I`ve not really done any bolt rig/heavy lead fishing apart from serious flood tactics, don`t use a hair. Bait is usually a big lump of something juicy. Is this still the way or am I outdated?
Any tips gratefully received.
Thanks, Julian

Don't fix it if it ain't broke, You are obviously aware of the technique of raising or lowering the rod top to achieve critical balance and lengthening or tightening the loop between the rod and the bait to achieve the same so I would just get on with it.

Try it and see. If you catch with regularity then there's your answer.

I shouldn't worry about using "outdated" methods, tackle or bait. They can be de rigueur in some circles ;)

Stephen

Back