• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Unleaded leaders

Howard Cooke

I have been giving some thought to incorporating a section of this stuff in my rigs this coming season to help pin the rig down above the lead. There are a few versions around and they seem to sink pretty well and are very supple and soft. I thought these might be useful as an alternative to back leads, tubing or even long hook lengths.

Anyone else use these or thinking of doing so? Or is it a total waste of time?

Cheers

the nash diffusion leaders look good, bought some today to try out on a hard carp water..
never gave it a thought for the river though.. who knows? only one way to find out...

Some of these are made of a semi transparent, semi hard gel like material which gives them that 'translucent, blends into any lake bed' quality. What I have found is that whatever knot you use to attach the built in loop to the mainline, the line cuts into the leader material to an alarming extent. I never tested one to destruction to see how long it lasted, because I bottled out and dumped them, but I would be very wary of them myself. They may be fine, just a one off for me of some of the earlier versions....just something to bear in mind.

Cheers, Dave.

The avid stuff is good, use it for carping, would still need a back lead on flowing water though

Some of these are made of a semi transparent, semi hard gel like material which gives them that 'translucent, blends into any lake bed' quality. What I have found is that whatever knot you use to attach the built in loop to the mainline, the line cuts into the leader material to an alarming extent. I never tested one to destruction to see how long it lasted, because I bottled out and dumped them, but I would be very wary of them myself. They may be fine, just a one off for me of some of the earlier versions....just something to bear in mind..

Some, like Korda's, have an inner core which is then coated much like a fly line so although the outer coating becomes damaged and tatty the leader will retain it's breaking strain.

The avid stuff is good, use it for carping, would still need a back lead on flowing water though

Agreed. None of them are heavy enough on their own to pin down in flowing water.

Yes Ian this is the stuff I have been looking at- much better colour than the Solar material. With back leads I don't seem to get on that well with them where I am fishing a little way out from the bank. I figured that by paying out a little more line the unleaded leader would lie flat(ish) on the bottom (just as a sinking braid hook length would).

Cheers.

Not helpful I know, but I've only found lead core a hindrance rather than a help.
It seems to 'encourage' the lead to find a snag much easier when using lead core.
I suspect this is because the mainline is kept low down in the water due to the lead core, and this in turn means the mainline finds more rocks and boulders to get trapped under.

I now use longer hooklengths instead of lead core.....

I also remember talking to Stuart Morgan, after he'd done his Up close and Personal DVD, where he said that even the biggest of back leads and the heaviest of lead core had little or know effect....

Steve

No need for leadcore or other leaders in river barbel fishing just like steve had said above longer hooklinks is the way and keep it all simple.

Tl

p

mh

Back