• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Unknown blank

Steven Sweet

Senior Member & Supporter
Morning all,

I've got a blank that came with an old tri-cast diamond weave I won at auction. I'm considering selling it, (either that or try building it), but I have no idea what it is.

Does anyone recognise the blank pattern?

Bright light:

Normal lighting:

Will include further details below, but if there's anything I've missed or that would help just let me know 🙂

All the best,

Steven

It's 13ft
I haven't noticed any markings.
I'd say it's a faster/more tip focused action.

(It doesn't have eyes whipped apart from one half whipped onto the butt section, so it's hard to tell. However, the butt section is noticeably stiffer than the tri-weave and my other rods, and it didn't lock up when I tested it with as much pressure as I was willing to put it under.)

Does it have a spigot or an overfit joint ?

The weave is reminiscent of some Paul Boote Cougar rods that I have. Built on a Century blank (became Hutchinson Sabre rods I think).

But I’m not sure that they did 13ft back then; and mine have spigot joints.

Could be a northwestern kevlite ….weave looks the same. But can’t remember them doing a 13ft???

North Western Kevlite?

Sadly, it's not a kevlite. I thought it was one from the auction house photo's, but the shiny bits in the blank aren't a different coloured part of the weave, but it's where the light seems to catch in the corner of the weave.

I think it's a spigot. I'm on my lunch now, so I'll double check and grab some more photos with it and my kevlite side-by-side.

Yep, definitely a spigot! The Kevlite is the one on the right/underneath.

Attachments

• 20240809_124440.jpg
    20240809_124440.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20240809_123648 (1).jpg
    20240809_123648 (1).jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 20240809_123647 (1).jpg
    20240809_123647 (1).jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 20240809_123659.jpg
    20240809_123659.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 80
Interesting people said century, as the closest looking blank I saw was a century one when I went looking

I think these might be a match?

NG’s don’t have spigots.

I reckon it’s an earlier Century blank; and at some point they did make some 13ft Armalites.
If not a kevlite then yeah would guess Armalite of FBS ….the 13ft FBS were lovely rods

I started looking at older century rods.

Is hy-bor a possibility?

The blank looks similar and it would be a closer match to the era of the other rods I saw in the auction. (Tri-cast diamond weave, Shimano twin power)

First impressions I thought Tony fordham rods.

But they also remind me of my uncles early Armalite carp rod blanks. I couldn't recall what he used unfortunately

Are the blanks smooth, if so they could be century. They did a rod called the black max back in the late 80's, they had spigots and came 12 and 13ft, test curves from I recall 2.5 up to 3.5.

Back