• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Unhooking mat or not?

Hey Damian.
I’ll be honest, this subject does grind on me a bit as I personally don’t like to see fish placed on the ground.
The argument of “not needed where soft long grass is about” isn’t one that's ever going to persuade me personally and the reason why is, you have no element of control regarding what’s there.
Small piece of broken glass, used needle, bottle cap, dog shit etc etc etc all of which can easily be hidden in the grass.

I wouldn’t run around these river banks without my socks n shoes on for the very same reason I wouldn’t lay a fish there.

The thing I don’t get is…. Mats are easily carried and deployed in seconds so if it must go on the deck it’s hardly a chore to use one and by doing so you have 100% control over what that fish is laying on.

It’s just a no brainer surely 🤷🏻
My mat weighs around 0.7kg and is 36cm x 14cm rolled away. It is no inconvenience bringing it with me.

You sure Joe?
I think you might mean inches unless you’ve had one specially made for Dace 🤣🤣🤣
Haha, yes quite sure!

36cm x 14cm rolled up, 101cm X 77cm rolled out. Shimano Purist roll-mat, really good design. Dries really quicky, so I have no quarms giving it a through soaking before use. The design also makes it easy to store a pair of forceps between the straps.

Hey Damian.
I’ll be honest, this subject does grind on me a bit as I personally don’t like to see fish placed on the ground.
The argument of “not needed where soft long grass is about” isn’t one that's ever going to persuade me personally and the reason why is, you have no element of control regarding what’s there.
Small piece of broken glass, used needle, bottle cap, dog shit etc etc etc all of which can easily be hidden in the grass.

I wouldn’t run around these river banks without my socks n shoes on for the very same reason I wouldn’t lay a fish there.

The thing I don’t get is…. Mats are easily carried and deployed in seconds so if it must go on the deck it’s hardly a chore to use one and by doing so you have 100% control over what that fish is laying on.

It’s just a no brainer surely 🤷🏻
That's fine Richard, I am not trying to convince you of the validity of my position, nor debate the validity of yours, and I can understand why such a subject might grind - fish care is an important issue.
Like I say however, if I were to fish perhaps anywhere other than I do I would probably consider one a necessity.

There are lots of subjects where there are two sides of an "argument" some neither right or wrong; some have two camps; some could be viewed as "need educating" or guidance perhaps by those more experienced; some where the experienced might be (wrongly) seen as "holier than thou"

• 11ft or 12ft rods
  • Centrepin or fixed spool
  • Arsenal or Spuds (well obvious really :) )
  • Chairs with arms or not
  • To pre-bait or not
  • Barbed or barbless
  • Triangular or round
and so the list can go on .........

But in my personal view (not that of BFW Team, albeit they may agree) is that the use of an unhooking mat should NOT have two sides - as per rules of my club, they should be mandatory. No matter whether the landing net can be laid on grass or vegetation, I believe an unhooking mat should be carried and used.

Ok, before I duck for cover, wi' my tin hat firmly buckled on tight, can anyone give a single reason NOT to use one?

exits hurriedly stage left ......... 😁😁
Don't know how i missed this thread ! 🤔 Because i would have commented before 😁

' QUOTE' ......Ok, before I duck for cover, wi' my tin hat firmly buckled on tight, can anyone give a single reason NOT to use one?

Well no I can't, or not a reasonable one anyway ! And I always do..... Always !

But !!! .... there are times, not many but there are, when I'm putting the mat on grass so thick and lush, that I think to myself ... This grass actually offers more cushioning than the mat !

But ... There's another but, if I were to use the grass rather than the mat there is a chance, not much of one, but never the less a chance, that there could be some object buried in the said lush grass that could easily damage the flanks of a large weighty fish, what springs to mind being the most likely, would be a shard of broken glass, a shard of sharp stone, or maybe even a length of dead or live bramble, to name three, so if using just the grass, it would be advisable to thoroughly check there area you were going to lay the fish on, just in case ! I think it's just easier to use the mat, then without giving it a second thought you know the fish is safe, and besides ... I've bloody brought it, so i may as well use it !! 🤣

My answer to the first points ! ...

• 11ft or 12ft rods ..... 12 ft I only own 12ft Barbel rods
  • Centrepin or fixed spool ..... Fixed
  • Arsenal or Spuds (well obvious really :) ) ... Pops ... What are you on about ??? 🤔
  • Chairs with arms or not, ... I've got both, i never hold my rods, so it dosn't matter which, I'm happy with both
  • To pre-bait or not, Pre bait especially with the Barbel population as it is these days
  • Barbed or barbless,... Barbed always
  • Triangular or round .... Triangular or round what ?

Back