• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

UnfinishedBbusiness –" My first double" By Chris Netto (Felix333)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles

Super Moderator
Staff member
UnfinishedBbusiness –" My first double"

By Chris Netto (Felix333)

I work about 23 miles from where I live which means by the time I get home, I can’t fish locally much before 19:30. Yesterday (7.9.04), however, I had a dental check up which meant I would be home a little earlier and so my mind turned to fishing.

I had decided last Wednesday it was about time to try the main Thames again and that visit to an untried swim saw me get two bites within five minutes of casting out at 19:40. The first fish broke me after a minute, the second bite came five minutes later and broke me after two minutes, but felt like a good fish. With both fish I just couldn’t seem to get them moving despite the 1.75lb t/c rod and ten pound line

I was a little perplexed with the first loss in case my knots were lacking (BFW readers may remember my post about the line and hook problems I went through a few weeks ago) but the second provided a clue in that the end of the line was very rough and it was obviously something sub-aqua, rather than my tackle. No bites followed that evening despite fishing into dark, and the last cast of the day bought in a stone with a tiny mussel attached, around which my line was caught.

During the session I had a feeling that something would happen, and for some strange reason, didn’t feel too dispondent, but I knew I would have to go back at my next opportunity as I had some unfinished business!

Help from BFWers

As a beginner I aired my problems with some knowledgeable people on BFW and had a number of helpful responses, particularly from John Walker (thisisjohn) who knew the venue.

The issues

There were obviously snags around
I would have to strike and pile on the pressure
Abrasion damage meant that some form of line protection was required

For the next few days I mulled over the problems - a lost carp at my local club lake on Sunday also provided food for thought, so when I got home from the dentist happy that once again nothing but cleaning was required, I set out my tackle.

I had decided to put as much sink tube on the line above my hooklength as possible to protect against abrasion, and managed to get about 22†on the ten pound line. A quick release lead clip with a protector bead in front of my snap swivel completed the main line set up and the hook length was 15lb braid to a barbless size 8, tied with a knotless knot.

I made my way to the river and wondered if the hot warm day and increasing atmospheric pressure would effect my fishing. The water was low and clear with a typical summer flow. On reaching the swim, I had a good idea where I wanted to put my bait and a cast of 20 yards was all that was required. My hook bait was a cocktail of a large halips pellet and a large elips pellet, both from BFW, glued either side of the hair. A small pva mesh sausage containing pellets from 2-8 mm in size completed the set up and I cast out at about 18:20.

At about 18:30 my friend had a take which followed a similar pattern to last week’s experiences. The fish tore away and was practically immovable off the bottom and I watched him play it as I reeled my line out of the way. He fought it for about five minutes and unfortunately it found a snag. He tried various tactics and just as he felt the fish move out of the snag his hook droppped out. He was gutted, but I retained my confidence, re-baited and cast out. Not really knowing what to say to make him feel better I reminded him what happened to me last week..

Strategy

Following some advice from jw I had constructed a plan of action and moved my chair to one side to accommodate my strategy. At about 18:45 I had a bite which I struck into. One of jw’s tips was to strike and take a couple of steps back immediately, which bought the rod’s power straight into play

To give you some idea of the fight, my reel is normally considered locked down for 10lb line at about +1 this fish was making occassional short runs at +4 causing me to tighten the drag even more. The rod was doing its stuff and absorbing the lunges well, although at one stage I nearly lost my grip on it and the tip dropped.

I was swearing under my breath at the fish as I was determined I was not going to loose another, and each minute of the fight dragged by, until I realised I was winning. I saw the first swirl which gave me heart, but then concentrated on watching the rod to ensure I countered any bids to find sanctury. All this time I still didn’t know what species it was and had cat fish in the back of my mind. As my friend netted it and I saw the ‘flying tip’ of the top of the tail fin, I realised I had a barbel – YES!

cnetto10lb1oz.jpg

The rest is all very hazy but it was rested, weighed, rested and then photographed. I held it in the flow and watched it melt into the background of the river bottom as it swam off slowly but strongly. When weighing it took me a while to realise that it was ‘only’ just 10 pounds, as to a novice like me anything over seven looks huge!

Overall the fish was in good condition, a small amount of healed scale damage on one side but, apart from that, perfect. I did re cast but our previous experience indicated that would be it for the evening. I did a long cast with an unbated hook which allowed me to reel in the line without the pressure it had just experienced, although I think I may re-spool everything as some loops seem a little buried to me. I think it took about 20 minutes for my heart beat to slow down, and true to venue form the bites stopped and by 19:30 we both decided to go home.

An end and a beginning

Today I have had a huge smile on my face, and much of this is being able to share my experiences with like minded people who have been very generous in their praise, support and friendship. I had set a modest 8lb target this year as I only decided to focus on barbel one year ago to the day, so to smash my Pb of 7lb 6 and get a double figure fish so soon is beyond my wildest expectations. That said I am looking forward to catching my next barbel, and whether it be 1lb or ten I know I will appreciate it

The tackle

1.75 t/c Trefor West barbel #25 on Harrison blank

GT80 10lb line

Size 8 raptor G4 barbless to15lb Drennan braid (approx 6 inches long)

Quick release lead clip and sink tube

Bait cocktail of a BFW Halips and Elips

Small pva stocking filled with various elipse pellets

© Chris Netto 2004

© Barbel Fishing World 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back