• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ultima Power Plus - alternatives?

Darren George

It's getting increasingly difficult to find my favourite mainline - at least from a reputable source.

Can anyone recommend any reputable shops selling it? Googling seems to bring back places I've never heard of or eBay. I don't trust either, especially as mono is perishable.

Alternatively recommend a suitable alternative - low vis, tough, relatively cheap?

Not a fan of daiwa sensor.

Considering switching to fluoro mainline as it lasts longer and I wouldn't have to swap spools from carp to barbel. But the way it lights up when fished tight to the lead bothers me for daytime fishing.

Darren, I think Power Plus has been discontinued (?) as I had the same trouble last season, though I found Ultima Power Steel was even better and at 0.26mm 8lb only 0.01mm thicker than Power Plus. It is slightly stiffer though.
Another alternative that's available everywhere is Power Carp, which is a very supple fluoro coated line.

Here's dealer locator: http://www.ultimauk.com/dealer_locator.php
(even shows dealers of specific products)

Its still on the Ultima website and is available to purchase from the Ultima store. £5 delivery charge though.

Darren, like you, I've had trouble getting it. Tamworth Tackle still sell it if you are ever near that way. They are only 2 mins of the A5.

If it's of any interest (!) I have gone from Shimano Catana which seems to have similar properties to power plus, if a little dearer. According to tacklebox.co.uk line tests, 10lb has a diameter of .30mm but breaks at 16lb.

Cheers all

I've got catana on one of my reels, it is pretty powerful stuff, got no problems with it.
Technium's good for avoiding glare, as its dark line, also strong stuff and has a braid like feel to it.

Back