• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

UFO,s whilst fishing.

Dave Brooksbank

Senior Member & Supporter
Ok lots of us staring at rod tops,isotopes and starlights day or night, so you have a good view of the sky for hours on end,have you had any experiences of any strange lights, objects, weirdness happening in the sky's above. I've had a few over the years.Recent one was on the Thames, it was a clear night, plenty of stars and I noticed what looked like a star dancing all over the place like a humming bird and then just shot off into the night sky...

About 30 years ago fishing the Cherwell me and a mate had a 'UFO' sighting if you can call it that.We still wonder what it was to this day.The section has a raised railway embankment the river comes under the railway and runs around a field for about a mile and back under the railway.About 2 am a bright light appeared in the sky behind the Railway about 1/4 mile behind where i was fishing.It totally lit up the field turning night into day.It moved slowly across the sky,no noise(no gas blast from a hot air balloon) and nothing to explain what it was.My mate fishing at the top of the fishery experienced the same thing.The light just went after about 10 minutes.

About 30 years ago fishing the Cherwell me and a mate had a 'UFO' sighting if you can call it that.We still wonder what it was to this day.The section has a raised railway embankment the river comes under the railway and runs around a field for about a mile and back under the railway.About 2 am a bright light appeared in the sky behind the Railway about 1/4 mile behind where i was fishing.It totally lit up the field turning night into day.It moved slowly across the sky,no noise(no gas blast from a hot air balloon) and nothing to explain what it was.My mate fishing at the top of the fishery experienced the same thing.The light just went after about 10 minutes.

That sounds suspiciously like a Schermuly (parachute) Flare. Any military bases or training areas in the vicinity (Weston On The Green, perhaps?). Having used them and seen them regularly, at best you hear a bit of fizzing as they burn, but from a distance, or if the wind is in the wrong direction, they appear totally silent.

30 blooming years wondering possibly blown in one post Chris.The light did not loose height and was horizontal for a couple of miles though.But yes there were military bases in the area,just had a look on youtube and the light was a lot brighter and larger.We did think it was military though.

30 blooming years wondering possibly blown in one post Chris.The light did not loose height and was horizontal for a couple of miles though.But yes there were military bases in the area,i will have a google around

They do seem to hang for quite a long time. They usually burn out before they get too low to be effective. However, much depends on the weather conditions. The really brighten up your night, and spoil that of an attacker, when set up as a trip flare!;):D

Yes,I have seen an unusual object in the sky when night fishing from the back of a cabin cruiser on the norfolk broads about 20 years ago.

It was a beautiful warm and clear summer night at about 2am with thousands of stars in view.
I noticed what looked like a bright star at one end of the horizon which suddenly travelled at incredible speed to the other side of the horizon in a couple of seconds then stopped abruptly and just hovered in the sky.
It would then repeat this and shoot off to the other horizon.
Nothing that I know of is physically capable of moving at that speed and then stopping suddenly,I must admit to being somewhat confused.
I thought that if I told anyone about this strange phenomenon they would think I was some kind of crank who was prone to fantasy.
I decided to wake my wife who reluctantly got up and came to the stern of the boat.She witnessed it as well and was similarly baffled.
To this day we still don't know what on earth it was.

I spent many years crossing the world's oceans as a bridge watchkeeping Officer, saw many things in the night sky, meteorites, fireballs, comets, St. Elmo's fire, aforementioned parachute rockets, satellites, northern (and southern) lights, star scintillation but every so often we spotted something that we couldn't explain. The truth is out there!

3 of us were night fishing the WA once and were convinced we were watching a big cat running across the field in the distance. Eventually my mate turned his van around and put his main beam on for a better look.
Badgers!

Whilst fishing in the South Downs at night around 5 years ago, a glowing light caught my eye. Then i noticed it was being followed by about 50 more. Now ive seen the usual nigh sky movements like shooting stars etc but none like these. They were just floating along, not loosing any hight. After 10 minutes they got closer they turned at to be Chinese lanterns. Not little grey men attacking Earth Even though being manmade they were a beautiful sight will a clear sky background. Must have been a wedding near by.

Iain, it's funny how we can give someone an on-the-spot-fine for dropping a cigarette butt (which is fine by me) but allow others to litter the countryside with an incendiary device that could also cause harm to livestock that might try to eat the debris that falls to earth etc. Fifty of the things!

Anthony. Thatched roof anybody.

So many abnomalies.

Stab someone. Get Community order. Call someone a racial name. Get prison sentence.

Crazy.

That sounds suspiciously like a Schermuly (parachute) Flare. Any military bases or training areas in the vicinity (Weston On The Green, perhaps?). Having used them and seen them regularly, at best you hear a bit of fizzing as they burn, but from a distance, or if the wind is in the wrong direction, they appear totally silent.

The USAF Upper Heyford base was fully operational 30 years ago too.

Sat blanking on the Thames as usual a few years ago, when two objects moved overhead on the same path at speed. Turned out it was the ISS and space shuttle which were getting ready to dock. Had me going for a moment. ps still blanking on the Thames

Back