• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Two PB's In One Afternoon

Neil Maidment

They're only carp and from a commercial "runs water" at that. But I reckon they're good fun in the sunshine while the rivers are off limits.

I had two new "Off The Top" PBs on Thursday.

This 18lbs 02oz Mirror on the #7wt/8wt fly gear on the classic Dog Biscuit Fly (thanks to Graham Elliot for his inspiration that finally made me get the fly gear out):

20220519_114510.jpg

Later on in the afternoon the carp had become far more wary and typically moved out of my fly casting range pretty quickly. So the more conventional 1.75 Barbel rod & 3500 fixed spool came into play with a 6grm controller float and floating crust. This 21lbs 10oz mirror, after much investigation, finally made a mistake and gave me another "Off The Top" PB.

20220519_154543.jpg

Magic! Great angling Neil 👍

Great way to catch carp Neil. 👍

I see you have mastered the carp angler's gaze at the fish's head too.

They're only carp and from a commercial "runs water" at that. But I reckon they're good fun in the sunshine while the rivers are off limits.

I had two new "Off The Top" PBs on Thursday.

This 18lbs 02oz Mirror on the #7wt/8wt fly gear on the classic Dog Biscuit Fly (thanks to Graham Elliot for his inspiration that finally made me get the fly gear out):

View attachment 19381

Later on in the afternoon the carp had become far more wary and typically moved out of my fly casting range pretty quickly. So the more conventional 1.75 Barbel rod & 3500 fixed spool came into play with a 6grm controller float and floating crust. This 21lbs 10oz mirror, after much investigation, finally made a mistake and gave me another "Off The Top" PB.

View attachment 19382
Can't beat it Neil. Well done friend.

Back