• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tuna on Fly

Great footage and, as you say, great that they are practicing catch and release.

(I initially misheard the singer and thought he was singing 'John Baker' not 'Jamaca'. Reminded me I need to order in more Frost and Flood. Bizzare.:D)

There's a downside to the C&R tuna-on-fly malarkey, I believe, Nigel - fine and dandy if you are fishing for only small to medium sized fish, but not if there are biggies about, for you will never land the latter on a 12-15-weight fly rod and Tibor Pacific, having to break them off early or kill them during a massively prolonged fight: highly irresponsible and unsporting fishing. Best part of the video, to my mind, was the surface "blitz"ing of baitfish by the tuna - a sight I'd love to see (saw it once, off Malta, when I was sixteen or seventeen), maybe even cast and hook just one and feel its speed and power, then return to watching what is now an increasingly rare spectacle.

Back