• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trout

Paul Boote

No Longer a Member
The Chairman on Wednesday

"Late availability" (a.k.a. the City Boys are no longer paying pre-Crash prices / have had to make a choice between their staple Bolivian Marching Powder and a Mayfly day on the Test, and the nose candy won) email in from another forum just now:

227.gif

My word, for that price (and rather more), I throw in half a dozen of our Lady Guides and long-stay accommodation at The Castle!

As ever,

B.B.

Always amazes me what people will pay for a days stockie bashing, the Test is no different from all the other trout waters in that respect. Average fish, 2-2 1/2lb, usual limit 4 fish, bargain £50 each!!!!! OK so they are brownies, but the river ain,t what it used to be, rarely clear, certainly not gin clear, existing on past times for sure.
peter

Only a handful of years ago, visiting the water of a Wessex keeper I have long known, I volunteered to clear out the two fishing huts on his fishery by way of a "Thank you" for the bit of fishing I was having free of charge: three, filled to overflowing, 70-litre rucksack, bagloads of champers, Chablis and white wine bottles in the huts and in the provided bins / rubbish sacks, not to mention the ones discreetly secreted in an adjacent elder and nettle patch, together with a pair of top-end lady's knickers lugged out to a car then over to a local tip. So far from Halford, even further from the hayseed locals who fished the rivers long before those who followed him.

Last edited:
5 rods on Longparish?

Blimey most of it's only single bank. I've only ever fished it with one other rod!

(Unless they are including Fulling Mill in that which is basically someone's back garden plus a couple of awkward carriers)

Last edited:
Reminds me of the time I was banned from a fly forum on which I had done years of sterling, helpful service, hours after adopting the following signature to foot my posts: www.aquaticgolfcourses.con

Clearly not to some of the site's sponsors' taste.

I remembered taking some pictures of trout rising last time I fished Longparish and managed to dig this one out.
QALimpn

The Chairman on Tuesday

Very pretty, Nigel. Never ceases to amaze me in just what glorious circumstances our pike deadbaits live in.

As ever,

B.B.

You use brownies for deadbaits?

The Chairman on Monday

Nothing against indigenous brownies, Nigel - sparky, little, none too bright, almost endearing chappies - it's the appalling folk who fish for and make such a political and social thing out of championing them. Which reminds me - another Memo to write and send to Kevin.

As ever,

B.B.

Last edited:
The Chairman on Monday

Nothing against indigenous brownies, Nigel - sparky, little, none too bright, almost endearing chappies.

Agree with all of that. As a kid I loved extracting them from the tiny streams on the Ashdown Forset and the upper reaches of the Medway. Always greedy little buggers with eyes bigger than their bellies.

The Chairman on Sunday

Lovely, had a million of them, from trickles to torrents, from tiny-pretty to "OMG! It's a blasted pike!", hard-working critters, unlike some who took them up and ran the wrong way with 'em!

As ever,

B.B.

"The Beauchamps Corporation - Investors in People (Even Flyfishers)

Due to a cancelation we have been offered two additional rods for the Avon on the 22nd May. This is a rare opportunity to fish this truly beautiful beat. If you would like more information about the Avon or Test fishing or to book any of the dates below please email: sales@fishandfly.com.
Fish&Fly have been appointed to offer this rare opportunity to fish an exclusive premier chalkstream beat of the Avon. Please contact

price...£220 per rod.:confused:

sales@fishandfly.com if you are interested.

Rods are available on the following dates:

avon dates 22 24

And for only pretty "fair" water, too. You really have to know the right people to get on the un-named, strictly among consenting adults in private, best stuff. Deep pockets are taken as read; asking "How much?" will only see an initially promising runner falling at the last hurdle - passed over for someone who, if he might not actually never carry the stuff, certainly never publicly talks about it. Thank God I fished some of the really good waters when just being a half-decent flyfisher and flytyer and fully paid-up human-being minding his own business and getting on with life and fishing was enough - the people who fished or owned such waters had a habit of finding you (which was nice) and, in those pre-"There's no such thing as a free lunch" days anyway, expected nothing in return, unlike now.

Back