• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trotting rod for Barbel

Ben have you got a float rod yet? I've just weighed up my Browning and having read reviews for it despite really liking the idea of a new flash rod i cannot justify it as mine is top landed barbel and chub no worries. But then there's already that desire for a new rod especially as i got money from selling one of my boards! Let me know if you've bought and tested a rod cheers Jon

As the title, just wondering what rod people recommend for trotting for Barbel?
I'll be fishing the Wye, mainly.
Cheers
Ben

It was a choice between the Daiwa Connoisseur 14ft power or the Drennan Acolyte plus I ended up with the Daiwa and have not regretted it ...... but both rods shine................

I initially thought my Acolyte plus 13' wouldn't cope with Barbel but have landed quite a few with it and now don't feel the need for anything heavier.
Having said that, if I was specifically targeting Barbel rather than whatever comes along I'd be using my old Drennan super Tench float which is superb and rated for heavier lines. Good with small stuff too. I've had Salmon to 18lb, deliberately, on it, no problem.
The 17' Acolyte, I've waggled one in a shop, seems brilliant.
So glad you threw in the old Drennan Tench , great rod.

I really like the Normarks Rob, I have a 2000 Titan and would love to put an Avenger 2000 in my collection too.

Back