• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trotting rod dilemma....?

Steve Sorrell

Xmas is nearly here and i've decided to let her spoil me with a new trotting rod :eek:
I've narrowed it to the Drennan 13 ultralight or the IM9 classic, also in 13ft.
It will be used for general trotting from grayling up to big chub.
Pros and cons please.........
I like the portability of the classic with the detachable handle and probably slightly more grunt. Anything else worth looking at??

Steve. I have both now so you can have a fish / waggle and decide when we next get out......

My first views of the Ultra light. Lightweight, excellent finish and wonderful action. I would have a concern when targetting those extra large fish in a real push of water though. When targetting grayling, roach, dace etc - perfect.

Classic should cover all eventualities and give a fair chance with those bigger fish and could also double for perch/tenching. Yet to see if the extra stiffness will affect smaller fish with bumping - literature says not.

David, yes, first choice...if you can find one less than £300 without a broken tip..

Graham

Last edited:
Preston Carbonactive 13ft?
But try and get one made from the Askari blank.

I have one if it helps.................................BUT it is deffo not for sale!!!

Or .... I have used a Shimano Diaflash 390H (13ft) for years, great rod, light and lots of middle grunt.

Here to help:D

When I was looking last year I considered the Ultralight but thought it would be a bit under gunned as a general trotting rod so opted for a Drennan 13ft MatchPro which is light enough for the smaller specimens but will handle decent chub etc as well.

Yeah Keith, that carbonactive was one of the possibles too.
Heard good things about their rods. Didn't know they built on different blanks?

Back