• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trotting for Barbel

Stephen Scaysbrook

I've never done float fishing for barbel on the trotting set up and just got to thinking.
Do I need to have may bait (probably meat) dragging bottom?. If so how much line would be best to have dragging bottom.

I've never done float fishing for barbel on the trotting set up and just got to thinking.
Do I need to have may bait (probably meat) dragging bottom?. If so how much line would be best to have dragging bottom.
I wouldn't drag the bottom, otherwise you might be better rolling meat with the hook buried in the meat to prevent fouling. For trotting with a float I would try and keep just of the bottom, Barbel will lift their heads to intercept food. The trick is to make the bait act naturally in the current, 'mending' line etc. Of course you can 'lay' on with a float, a static approach in the margins.

If the bottom is clean like gravel when trotting using banded pellet I will usually fish at leat 2’ overdepth, helps slow the bait down a bit and def works !!
How do you stop the pellet from slipping to the bend on the hook, cliff?

Yes as Richard says it’s just how you hook the band, if it’s tight you can position the pellet where you want but when they are really having it I don’t think it makes too much difference. You can also tie the band on a short hair which makes it much easier to band the pellet. You will bump the odd fish with banded pellet.

Back