• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Trotting for Barbel - line strength

Ian Murfin

Hi Chaps,

I'm targeting trying to catch a barbel whilst trotting and was wondering what line strength people use. The last time out I used 20lb braid on the pin, with a couple of meters of 8lb mono followed by a 6lb hook link and a size 16 Guru MWG hook (which is probably more like a 12) and was fishing with casters as bait. All went well and i managed 3 chub to about 3.5lb. I also pulled out of what i presume to be a reasonable size barbel.

The set up seemed reasonably well balanced but i did wonder how well the hook link would hold up if i did manage to hook a reasonable barbel. This may be because I've spent too much time sitting behind ledger gear and have got too used to 10-12lb line. There aren't too many snags in the swims i fish although there is usually some streamer weed in the vicinity which i will have to try and keep the fish out of.

I'm tempted to step up to 10lb mono and a 8lb hooklink but then my hook will seem a bit mismatched, I could go larger of course but I like the presentation of the double caster on the current set up.

Any thoughts?

Ian, it depends 1st on what the rod is being used is,
2ndly, what size of barbel are expected,
i leave snaggy swims out of the query as you are trotting mate
just like your tackle being balanced so the rod and line should also balance out:)

The swims that I trot regularly are only about four feet deep, light to moderate flow and pretty snag free. I therefore get away fishing with a 6lb mainline, 4.4lb hooklength and size 16 with double caster. My rod is 12' and 1.25lb tc. I've had barbel to 8lb there with the average about 4lb and can't recall the last time I lost a barbel. You can still give the fish plenty of 'stick' despite what seems like a fine hooklength.

I would take the braid out of the equation as it has no stretch, you are therefore putting a lot of load on a small length of mono which will not give much before it breaks.

Ian, I use 30lb powerpro and I treat it with Grangers Fabsil. The line sits on top of the surface, picks up beautifully and virtually controls itself in an upstream breeze. Use untreated in a wind coming on to your bank or better still if you’re a mortal like me use a weight.
Crooky has a good point but I use my trusty Drennan Tench Float and find the lighter tip looks after the hook length if I am careful and I don’t trot snaggy swims.

I have been doing a lot of trotting for barbel, but often catching chub as you do, with
6lb straight through if I using a hook at 8 or above with lob worm as bait or Kamasan Animal to nylon in sizes 10, 12 to 5lb and 14 to 4lb. No problem landing barbel to over 6lbs. I would not want to be using any stronger line as I'm sure I would lose line control.

I use ultima power plus straight through in 8 for all my float fishing and landed many a double fig barbel using it. Its the thinnest most duarble line I know. I personally wouldnt touch braid with a barge pole fot float fishing as I often fish 3 rods out and with wind in my face.

As an addition to your question, what type of floats are you using, i'm going to be giving trotting for barbel a go for the first time this year. Planning on using 6lb straight through but wondered about floats, i've read a lot about these 5AAA floats etc etc.

As an addition to your question, what type of floats are you using, i'm going to be giving trotting for barbel a go for the first time this year. Planning on using 6lb straight through but wondered about floats, i've read a lot about these 5AAA floats etc etc.
i picked up some nice barbel trotter floats the other day, shaped like drennan chubbers but bigger, depends on what the conditions are like, i wouldn't use less than 8lb and fish it straight.

for floats go to Steve Maher's site The Float Shop. He does quality floats and WILL have ones for your needs. Email or ring him for advice. He is very forthcoming with advice and will also offer coaching. Best advice I can give is go for control so fish a heavier one rather than the lightest you think you can get away with. as for line I use Tubertini Gorrila Float in either Diameter 18 or 20. It floats, is very strong for diameter and very supple. I normally use it straight through. If you are unsure tie it to a post and pull for a break, that should give you some confidence.

Hi Ian
I found out many years ago that if you feed a swim correctly and let the fish get totally preoccupied on your bait, then it matters little as to what line strength you use. Some would say that you are buying your fish, but a gallon of maggots on the Avon usually does the trick. I would have no reservations about using 10lb mono when trotting for barbel.
I'm not sure if they are still made,..but I often use drennan crystal loafer floats in the 3 to 5 swan sizes on the Hamp. Avon,...brought dozens years ago.
All the best
Dave T;):)

10.1 lb silstar match team, low diameter, good knoth strenght use it all the time, for long trotting, need it, especially on a pacey river, you need to have some strong line to put mr barbel under pressure and stop him from heading down river, for snaggs if possible ,lol

big bolo floats, 3-6 grms, can see them 3 swims down ,lol

I use the steve maher bolo floats in 5 and 6 gram great for the Trent. I never fish a weaker hooklength either as any weakness will surely be found out. The weakest part of the rig is the knot for the hook, in the past few years I have float fished for Barbel I have never lost a rig and the few times I have been snagged the line has parted and the hook. Why over complicate it imo. I dont endorse fishing light hook lengths either which I believe is very stressful for all Barbel during a prolonged fight.

8lb mono straight through for me and has been for the last 15yrs or so that I've been fishing the Ribble for them ont float. It allows small/medium fish to be landed fairly quick and your not undergunned when landing a decent double :D

Not a big fan of using braid for barbel, but do use 30lb power-pro when trotting for Pike. Each to their own though !

Completely agree with John about using light hooklinks which IMO can cause unnecessary stress to the fish. Regarding that point I always give them plenty of time to recover ;)

Thanks for the feedback chaps, the rod I'm fishing with is a 12 ft 9" graham marsden harrison interceptor which is a lovely rod that I picked up cheap on eBay a year or two ago. Floats are normally chubbers or Avons with bulk shot 12" or so from the hook.

I'm not quite sure how I've ended up using braid, it has its benefits in diameter, it floats well and is quick on the strike but the comments about lack of stretch are fair ones and I might give the 8lb mono straight through approach a try. It would certainly reduce the number of knots which are all potential week points

Back