• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tripod

Bob Watson

Senior Member & Supporter
I'm not a massive fan of tripods but some banks can be a pain to get sticks in so I'm going to ask the question!

Which tripod?

I've just got rid of my Trafford angling one which was ok but not brilliant! So that's one option out of the mix.

Hi Bob, just use the search facility in the top right corner, type in tripod, lots to read. Good luck in your search. :)

Thanks Derek.

Looks like the korum, another option was the fox horizon with a mod. Too expensive for infrequent use!

Mk2 Korum tripod gets good reviews for easy of use and ability to use when fishing a few pegs. I have a Prologic Sky Pod but that is used for the Trent when I am bivvying up for a few days.

Have the mk2 Korum but might be an idea to sort out some sort of bungee to anchor the back leg had mine pulled over on the Trent and nearly lost a rod but great for the money

Salt tripod by Shakespeare, blue alloy with side bars, virtually indestructible rock solid and adjustable , make a flat bar for alarms or rod rests, also great for sea fishing, can hang useful items from the hook it has as well .

I use a Korum Tripod sourced 2nd hand so not sure if the latest model. Positives are relatively cheap, flexibility and very light. Negatives are due to its lightness - it is possible to tip it over given enough force and the top will flex if the rods are arched right over on a vicious take or in flood conditions.. I counter the negatives by pinning it down with a bungi & a couple of pegs or by using rocks etc. I have seen various large pods in use for the same application & they appear to be very robust and rock solid, but I suspect comparatively heavy and time consuming to set up.

Salt tripod by Shakespeare, blue alloy with side bars, virtually indestructible rock solid and adjustable , make a flat bar for alarms or rod rests, also great for sea fishing, can hang useful items from the hook it has as well .
Is it possible to use bite alarms with this tripod Alex?

Back in the days when I did a bit of beachcasting I found that tripods were very unstable and would often tip over in strong tides or winds.
I then discovered that the hook underneath the rest was to hang a bag of sand, water or pebbles, gathered on site, which gave the necessary stability.

Hello Steve, using a flat alloy bar with a 3 drilled holes, 1 to the middle to attach to the rest and a couple of nuts the same sized thread as the bite alarms no problem, the Salt has very stable alloy side bars, and the adjustable alloy bar has a good spike that will dig into most surfaces bar solid rock ,the front legs are slightly pointed as well , have used for the past 5 years , for cod and barbel fishing and is still in good working order, I have used the el cheapo tripods in the past , but the salt is the one for me !

Mk 2 Korum been using it 2 seasons now on Tidal and middle in fierce conditions ( 8 ozs lead needed) I ALWAYS use a bivvy peg and Bungy around back leg its never gonna go anywhere rock solid lightning fast to erect and pack away

Back