• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

tough start

Cliff Turner

Senior Member & Supporter
Ive had 9 days on the rivers so far, one on the Teme, 5 on the Wye and 3 on the Severn for a total of 20 barbel, way below what I would have expected to catch based on previous years. Ive been mainly float fishing with an hour or two on feeder, lots of quality chub on the Wye as a bonus but the barbel fishing has been hard. Hows everyone else been doing ?

Catches down 50% on the TT, for me so far..after the floods in 2012, it was far worse and took a few years to recover..I even blanked the other week, even had to look up blanked as it's not in my vocabulary... smile. It's called fishing not catching hopefully evens out through the year...

Duties have kept me on the river Nidd Yorkshire so far this season Cliff.

Found it really tough on the barbel front against my last years records and results.
Same for the local mach lads.

Yeah. I’ve certainly had better starts regarding numbers but this for me is a better season regarding quality.

Doubles turning up on the float on 3 different sections of the middle Trent including a pb has made my season start extremely good.
First nene barbel ever to come out on the float too while chub fishing.

So yeah definitely down on numbers but an awesome start to the season.

Lots of small barbel but average size well down on previous seasons.
Chub on the other hand are fantastic- some huge fish that are mid- upper sixes now , so should be special this winter.🤞

2022 season I had 1 barbel from the w.avon and I was fishing it at least twice a week through to end of autumn. I didn't Barbel fish much last year as perch took over for me. I'm back fishing for the Barbel but haven't had one yet.

Not a single Barbel on the W.Avon although I have only done x6 trips and conditions haven’t been ideal.

Had some lovely Chub though on the pin.

Attachments

• IMG_8206.jpeg
    IMG_8206.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 48
I think most rivers have started slowly. I found the first 2 or 3 weeks quite slow on the middle Trent but improved now. Water temps definitely rising now though.

I've had more Barbel in my one trip out this season, than the whole of last season, so I'm happy. Unfortunately, I just can't find the time to go at the moment, which is a bit of a downer.

Not a single Barbel on the W.Avon although I have only done x6 trips and conditions haven’t been ideal.

Had some lovely Chub though on the pin.
Some monster chub in the w.avon if you can locate them. I've had some really nice fish on the light barbel gear

Agreed. 5.11 is the best I’ve had.

Weirdly enough I don’t tend to catch many 2/3lb ones.
Same here and my current pb chub is the same. I've never kept score on PB's before and I quit fishing for quite a few years so when I came back I've started keeping a little score.

Think I'm gonna scale down my gear on the Avon and fish 1.5lb rods mainly for the chub but still have enough in reserve if a barbel comes along instead of having a chub when trying for Barbel.

Only 3 barbel trips for me this season so far:
Ouse - blanked (standard)
Tent - 4 all single figures, smallest barbel I’ve ever caught on the Trent
Severn - 5 all between 6 and 8Ib, about average for the stretch

TBH I’m not much of a summer barbel angler much preferring Autumn

It's all relative, I have had 3 Barbel so far with the biggest being 9-7 but have been beaten up twice and lost two biguns 😬 but since it's the Hants Avon I'm fishing, I'm very happy for now;)

Whilst waiting for the warks Avon to oblige, I am having fun with the silvers and my new rod addition that was a mere £18 and was cheaper at £9 of late...the brilliant Shakespeare concept light tip at 10 foot, coupled with a baby Stradic 4lb line great fun, small bread feeder and flake ...what better fun can you have legally?
I urge anyone if you can find one get it, it was originally priced at 70 odd quid.

Back