• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Touch Ledgering - is it worth it?

Guys,

This whole thread and others like it are all about *opinion*.

If someone posts a question actively soliciting opinion then don't be surprised if they actually get several different opinions in the same thread. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that may include having a low opinion of other methods/techniques.

My own view is that there a no "right" ways to do things, but there are probably some "wrong" ways. Logically therefore, anything that is not "wrong" is OK. Oh, and just because someone does something differently than you does *not* make it "wrong"!

R.

Hi Colin,

Actually, it seems you are guilty of not seeing what is clearly written......:rolleyes:...READ the whole thread Colin.

And I quote....

"What an utterly depressing thread this is ! Two rods,baitrunners, bolt/hair rigs, big leads, boilies/pellets, is that what fishing for a thoroughly absorbing species has been reduced to ? My advice ? leave touch ledgering alone, its way too involving and requires way too much effort to be bothered with, just carry on boring the bloody things out"

Or do you not see that as "Rubbishing or putting down of other methods' :rolleyes: I dont "Just think" that was written Colin, I know it was :p And the comments that followed that were a little disparaging of other methods, were they not?

As it happens, my post was not directed towards the criticisms in this thread alone....It was just that Simon's jibe was a small sample of the elitist rants of the 'There is only one true path brothers' sect :D

Seriously though Colin, it doesnt actually bother me that much...I just find it a little sad that there are so many divisions in our sport...so many different branches and even distinct approaches to one area of angling where the fans of that type of angling are fiercely, almost tribally critical of others, rather than enjoying what they do, and being happy for the other guy enjoying his passion.

Still...I suppose if they weren't doing that, they might be spending their time being even more tribal and unpleasent at a football ground :D:D:D

Joking lads, joking :D

Cheers, Dave.

Colin, you are wrong for once :) Fact is i meant every word of that statement ! If that is seen as Elitist and disparaging and whatever else then so be it :rolleyes:

'One true path' ? don't think i ever said or think that, because its obviously not the case, thats why i think it sad that many choose what is the most boring method of going about things, when there are other more engaging and interesting and at times vastly more succesful methods available, if only they were to make the effort and try something different :)

Last edited:
Slush isn't really an elitist, he's just a very naughty boy:p:D

Si, if this opening statement: "Colin, you are wrong for once :) Fact is i meant every word of that statement !"

Was not followed by this: "If that is seen as Elitist and disparaging and whatever else then so be it :rolleyes:"
Then perhaps it could be said that I was wrong but the second sentense draws doubt into the validity of your claim of me being "wrong".

It more hints at others interpretation of what has been written rather than what has actually been.

A rather grey area now, so I ain't "wrong", just not right!:p :D

Unless you were being deliberately antagonistic and that'd be naughty.:rolleyes: :p

Si, if this opening statement: "Colin, you are wrong for once :) Fact is i meant every word of that statement !"

Was not followed by this: "If that is seen as Elitist and disparaging and whatever else then so be it :rolleyes:"
Then perhaps it could be said that I was wrong but the second sentense draws doubt into the validity of your claim of me being "wrong".

It more hints at others interpretation of what has been written rather than what has actually been.

A rather grey area now, so I ain't "wrong", just not right!:p :D

Unless you were being deliberately antagonistic and that'd be naughty.:rolleyes: :p

I'm not sure about that?..... it might be or maybe not?

yes yes and yes.....i'm spending more and more time these days with the rod in my hand and less and less sitting behind two rods.
You can watch the river, commune with nature, read a book or even have a snooze but you never miss a bite. If you've never done it give it a go, the feeling of that first touch ledgered barbel is electrifying.

amen

Back