• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tope

Plenty of hounds coming out a little further down the channel now plus the same on your side of the bridge, hope you've got some peelers for some sport while you wait for the fish baits......click click click... went the ratchet......:D

Cheers,

Graham

Tope, just love them, couple of things that make a BIG difference, circle hooks, 50lb BS, 49 strand wire(far more supple than 150bs mono, and tooth proof), and for those slack tide times, big floats ,capable of supporting 3-4oz, fished 10-20ft off bottom, absolutely brilliant, try it, you,ll be amazed at how many takes you get, whilst bottom baits are being ignored!
peter

Thanks for that, we had a great day, no tope were caught but plenty of lesser species kept us busy, I did get one click click which gave me a bit of a start but it turned out to be a small bull huss, which at around about 4lb was the biggest fish of the day.
The float fishing tip is a good one and I will be giving it a go on my next trip next month.

The strangest catch of the day was a lobster which went home with the skipper because apparently if you don't cook the blue ones correctly they're poisonous :D and the most worrying thing about the day was the shortage of mackerel although the odd ones we did get were huge. We also had a couple of dolphins alongside the boat as we moved marks.....Big ain't they....:)

It was only an 8 hour trip Dave. From Aber they normally like to do a 10 hr trip to get out to the tope grounds as it's a two hour steam each way which gives you 6 hrs fishing. It's also twice as much diesel so the price goes up a bit.

The lads who booked this trip were once a year anglers who were staying at the local caravan site, all they wanted was a few bites, me and Steve phoned on spec the day before and only went along to make up the numbers so we had to take what was on offer.

I've got another one booked next month from Ramsgate with a group from another site, if we get Tope I'll be happy but if not it'll be a good day out.

Back