• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

To much hemp????

Jamie Armitage

How much is to much hemp?
2 pints? more? less?
To much and they ignore your hook bait?

Just would like to know what you think??

cheers jamie

3,4,5,6 pints even....if you've got barbel in the swim, keep bait-droppering it in every 15-20 mins to keep them interested. Add maggots into the mix and place one or two on a small, strong hook at the up-stream end of your patch and wait. I usually use a 6 foot fluoro hook-link when using this method.

If you don't get a bite in 15 mins, put more bait in. I used to find a tiny segment of worm threaded up the shank would make the hook-bait stand out without spooking the fish. Works well IF you've definitely got barbel there.

Jamie, tricky question to answer that one, it depends on lots of variables, as does baiting of any sort. Numbers of fish present/are they present in the swim or are you drawing them in/angling pressure (are they nervy of big beds of bait) they often are ! /or are they just plain terrified of it in the first place.
Anyone who's spent years observing Barbel in clear water will tell you the same, so i would say at times one small dropper is plenty , sometimes even that is too much, and at others you could do with a gallon !!
Sorry if there are no easy answers there mate but the simple truth is that there isn't an easy answer, its down to getting to know the fish you are after and adapting your baiting to suit, as a start point though, i would try just one dropper when you start fishing followed by the hookbait (forget about filling it in from the off) that can ruin a swim more times than you realise, give that half an hour, ( its surprising how many big Barbel can be caught within 10 minutes of starting!) if nothing happens then start building up the feed like Mr King describes.
Hope that helps ;)

Last edited:
If you have the time and can afford the bait and your fishing a river where you cn see them feed then stick a couple of droppers in and watch how quick they eat it up, add a few more droppers and see if they come back for more .. repeat the process and see what happens... sometimes its just as enjoyable observing as it is catching them. you'll learn a lot form your own trial and error.

Back