• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tips on catching tench in spade oak pit

Mark Pevy

Senior Member & Supporter
Any ideas please, joined Marlow this season after a few years away, normally only fish rivers but fancy giving it a go as its only a 5 minute drive away👍

Dont know the water, but time spent walking the banks at dawn will be time well spent. Find a swim where you've seen them rolling and take it from there.

Method feeders are often a good tactic to start with, no point putting much bait out till you are sure you're on the fish or in swim they regularly visit. Dont worry about re-casting a lot, they often get drawn to the disturbance.

Look for the shallower parts of the lake this time of year as they will be the quickest to warm up.

Buy a copy of ‘Red eye’ edited by Mick Cutler. The latest good book on tench fishing. Read James Gardner’s chapter and copy that ! An intelligent man’s guide to catching big tench quickly.

Failing that, get the Tenchfishers ‘Tinca Tinca’ or even ‘A time for tench’ by Chris Turnbull.

all excellent books.

Go and do some plumbing and then start fishing in a few weeks when it has warmed up a bit.

Maggots and casters are the go to, or worms and a kebab rig.

As Joe said not too much bait, but be accurate. Either in the margin or on the edge of a feature at sensible range.

Rigs are simple - either a heli feeder set up with a short hooklink, or an inline lead and s slightly longer hooklink with a PVA bag to stop tangles.

Today I received a new ticket - so I’m going tench fishing for the first time for over a decade. So I will see if I can remember how to do it……

Good luck.

Dont know the water, but time spent walking the banks at dawn will be time well spent. Find a swim where you've seen them rolling and take it from there.

Method feeders are often a good tactic to start with, no point putting much bait out till you are sure you're on the fish or in swim they regularly visit. Dont worry about re-casting a lot, they often get drawn to the disturbance.

Look for the shallower parts of the lake this time of year as they will be the quickest to warm up.
Thanks

Mark, I had 2 tench sessions before this cold spell landing 7 tench. Six of them were caught on maggots, 5 on an inline feeder rig and 1 on the float. The other took a mini boilie on a method feeder.

Walk along the path to where the lake starts to bear left or head to finger further along going out 20 yards.
Helicopter rig with red maggot after few balls of hemp hali maggot mix.

Rake, bait, wait.
Rake, I have a Rake that I made from rebar, its about 2ft 10inch wide and I'm able to Rake a swim in under 10mins 4 yds wide, out to 16m even further with chest waders on.
Bait, worms, dead maggots hemp anything small.
Wait.... feeders I use are drwnnan inline, one single hooklink just above the feeder, no more than 4inch long. I use one quick change hooklink swivels, sandwiched between 2 guru line stops.

Hope this helps

Back