• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Timsbury

Matt J Smith

Hi all just booked a day for me and a few mates next weekend and was after a bit of info as to what sort of end tackle floats hook size line bait etc as I'm after my first grayling! Also any tips as to where to head to and whether I'll want trotting gear or feeder or both?Any info/tips gladly recieved pm if prefer thanks in anticipation matt,sure some of you have fished it?!

Matt try posting on the Grayling thread you should hit a wealth of knowledge there!
For me float rod small fixed spool reel 5lb line to 1.7lb bottom size 14 to 18 hooks heavy'ish avon floats. And plenty of red maggots.

Hi Matt

I always take Bread with me, not punch and puff but proper mashed bread ground-bait and use flake on the hook.

I also tend to take two rods, one to use as a slightly heavier set up and the other for Roach/Grayling, the heavier set up is for first use in a swim, you will probably find that the first few trots through will result in either Brown or Rainbow Trout and they can be quite big fish (or if you are very lucky Sea Trout or Salmon).
I have taken Rainbows to 7lb and Browns and Sea Trout to well over 6lb, often you will clear these fish out fairly quickly, once done you can concentrate on the other species that can be caught there.

If you use a light outfit from the start you might find that all you do is leave some small hooks in some of the Trout and this does not look good to the fluff chucker’s.

Have a good day.

Take some sweetcorn with you, it often works if maggots are proving a bit slow. If you can still fish the 2nd carrier at Timsbury (the fast clear one) then that's always worth an hour or so. Don't be put off by the depth and clarity. Look for a slightly deeper run and there will be some grayling there. Never had an awful lot of success on the main river, but it looks superb. You'll have a lovely day whatever happens.

With regards to end tackle: 16 hook, 3-4lb mainline, slightly weaker hooklink. Smallish float maybe 4 to 6bb. Make sure you try several approaches when running the float through. At first run it through at current speed, mending the line as and when. Then try holding back slightly and even holding back hard, allowing the bait to flutter up high in the water whilst keeping it almost stationary. Keep changing baits and if necessary hook sizes until you get a few bites. Don't change too quick though, try giving each bait a decent chance. Keep a steady trickle of bait going in or even use a bait dropper to get a few maggots down. Rest the swim for 5 minutes and then fish.

Last edited:
corn ,red & yellow maggots ,you no longer have access too 2/3rds of the slow carrier so forget the big roach swims and the loverly pool at the head of the slow carrier .

only chance of good sized roach will be out the main river (mainly in beat 6) from the hut down too the road bridge .if the main river is up and coloured stick too the fast carrier

take a couple of loafers/cubbas or avon floats ,4lbs mainline ,3lbs hooklengths ,perhaps a quiver rod for the main river .keep things simple ,if the rivers in good form ,give these pegs a go (my favourites) near the end of the fast carrier it drops over a weir then turns right to the main river ,theres a great back eddy at this corner .always good for a few little grayling here .

timsburymanor.jpg

(forget about the big red arrowed swim on the right ,as its on the slow carrier & out of bounds now ,bottom left corner is the only bit of the slow carrier open too you now .)

if it rains park in the lane (the new carpark floods)

good luck

Back