• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Timsbury River Test

Declan Doherty

Hi all,
I'm having a day on the Test at Timsbury this week (hoping to catch my first Grayling).. Has anyone fished this stretch and could offer any advice?

Many thanks, Declan

I fished this stretch a few years ago with a load of blokes off total fishing 15 of us i think, we walked off and just fished where ever we fancied , i trotted maggot through the glides and slacks and caught all day long, grayling , trout, roach etc and that was in really bad conditions , i have yet to have gone there in good frosty dry conditions and i would imagine the fishing would be spot on , if you are srtuggling just pick a swim and fish maggot feeder it seems to be doing the trick on grayling waters at the moment , all the best Graham.

Thanks Graham.. Going by the forecast I'm not too sure conditions will be ideal, but hopefully I'll manage a Grayling at least!

if the main river is ,up & coloured with run off ,stick too the fast carrier (about half way down) just look for the christmas decorations for popular spots :rolleyes: ,park in the lane not the carpark ,as the carpark will be either a mudbath or ice rink depending on weather .its not the place it used too be ,but still a good grayling venue,the road bridge (beat6) is a good spot if the main river is nice and clear

but my favourite spots are here

timsburymanor.jpg

Something I have always found works here is heavy feeding ! The more you put in, the better they seem to feed !
The fast carrier is usually odds on for a Grayling or 2.
Am I right in thinking that you can no longer fish the slow carrier ?
Nice venue, but a little over-proced in my opinion !

they've moved the entrance ,and theres no more fishing the upper part of the slow carrier where the loverly pool was near the huts ,but you can fish the tail end in beat 5 ,but too be honest its not the place it used too be because of the loss of the slow carrier (prime big roach fishing) your limited too the main field ,with part of the fast carrier from the footbridge down too the little wierpool & the main river then in the smaller field (beat 5) now the entrance and 20 yds or so of slow carrier with half a dozen spots and the main river down through beat 6 too the road bridge .

its a shame really with the changes ,its lost its mojo ,and shine ,if they had a price cut too match the reduced fishing capabilities then it'd be worth it ,possibly ,but not worth the 300 mile round trip for me anymore ,next winter i'll be giving it a miss and probably head over too the itchin or start my grayling campaign closer too home .on the dove or derwent.

Hi chaps - just an update.. Myself and a mate fished Timsbury yesterday. There were a few other guys down there as well, and apart from a guy who had a couple of trout legering, most of us blanked. The river was up and very coloured, and the weather was miserable. Not exactly money well spent!

Declan

Sounds like you caught it wrong Declan, unlucky. Don't be put off and do make the effort to return. 20 of us fished it in December and we all caught well with the Test carrying just a tinge of colour.
This was my third trip to the venue and I always catch on trotted flake whilst feeding liquidised bread, but do take some maggots and worms to tempt the grayling and perch. There are some lovely roach there but they seem few and far between and can be difficult to tempt. I'm quite content to catch 3lb trout which, on lightish trotting gear, is the best fun you can have with your clothes on :p :D.

Duncan.

I was down there a couple of weeks back when the temperature was dropping fast and the fish were proving very difficult to tempt. The closing of the slow carrier and my favourite swim at the head of the fast carrier was a bit of a blow as I have done well on these before. Like Steve said, it's lost some of it's mojo and that is a pity.

I gather that the Itchen is great for grayling and some nice roach and occasional barbel. There are even a few, albeit well fished, free sections.

Back