• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Thunderstorms

Ian Hugo Arnott

Here in deepest Sussex we have had a series of marvellous storms this afternoon, with really heavy downpours. Unfortunately, although I have fished on several occasions this season, I am unable to fish this evening. The storms have gone and I can smell the river from here, four miles away, and see the barbel rolling. The Medway will have been rejuvenated by these downpours and the barbel are almost excited as I am.

Always found these conditions conducive, to say the least!

'Till the next time......

Regards

Hugo

Had a great session in a thunderstorm once, felt a little dicey waving a 12 ft carbon rod around with forked lighting going off. Probably the most exhilarating fight, got soaked through immediately but landed a fish a little under 15 pounds. It came to the surface for the first time and was completely illuminated by the lightening, looked enormous. Never forget that one.

Great conditions but carbon is a good conductor of electricity to say the least!

Yet another reason to switch to cane eh, Hugo? ;)

I've had some great sessions during thunderstorms. One particularly memorable one involved floater fishing for carp. It really seemed to stir them up. They were even rising to the baits when the storm was directly above.

Back