• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Through Action Rod

Garry Howell

Hi, looking for advice for a through action rod, I am fishing a narrow river and finding the rod I am using to 'tippy' (2lb Greys TXL Barbel), thing of taking the plunge and having one built - but I don't want to make any costly mistakes, looking for something that will control a fish close in, casting isn't really an issue. Looking at one of the Harrison rods at the moment. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

11ft 1.75tc Gti my choice too. I use two for ALL of my river fishing, small rivers and the Trent.

Hi, looking for advice for a through action rod, I am fishing a narrow river and finding the rod I am using to 'tippy' (2lb Greys TXL Barbel), thing of taking the plunge and having one built - but I don't want to make any costly mistakes, looking for something that will control a fish close in, casting isn't really an issue. Looking at one of the Harrison rods at the moment. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

I have a Torrix 11' 1.75 that would seem an ideal tool, or the Dave Mason 10'6 perhaps, a real beaut of a rod, that is very versatile and has a great parobolic action, just the thing for small rivers.
Andy Sliwa is still making them.

11ft 1.75tc Gti my choice too. I use two for ALL of my river fishing, small rivers and the Trent.

I would second Pauls recommendation , excellent rod . Contact Chas Burns at Burns built rods , he builds rods on Harrison blanks and does an absolutely first rate job at a keen price . If you are interested give him a ring on 07719 788036 and mention my name . If you go with Chaz I guarantee you won't be disappointed :D

hi Garry, a paul said the 10ft stalker is a great rod for small rivers and when yo 1st look at one you,ll think hell thats far too delicate a rod for any punishment, the you,ll realise all its attributes and the surprising power from such a wand, wouldntpart with mine for anything, great rod.

Hear the Trefor West 1.75lb, 11ft Stalker rod on a Harrison blank is good. LA are selling them for £240. Don't know what the lead time is

All these sort of advice threads end the same way,:p Folk always recommend what they own, it get's so confusing, so I will simplify.... Torrix 11' 1.75, comes in various guises, but for value Bob The Rod at Fosters He will customise too.

Thanks to everyone for these comments - looks like the 11' Gti is favorite, time to see my friendly rod builder I think!

All these sort of advice threads end the same way,:p Folk always recommend what they own, it get's so confusing ....

Pretty obvious as one can't recommend a rod that one doesn't own/use :p. But it makes a nice change from the "is rod X any good?" and the answers given are "try rod Y, rod Z etc"

Here's my near 50 year rod story, and it ends with the rod I recommend :)

My rod story :)

Fascinating Paul , thanks for posting this . I have regressed and find myself currently fishing with gear very similar to the tackle you started out with :D

Pretty obvious as one can't recommend a rod that one doesn't own/use :p. But it makes a nice change from the "is rod X any good?" and the answers given are "try rod Y, rod Z etc"

Here's my near 50 year rod story, and it ends with the rod I recommend :)

My rod story :)

But this is my point, rarely do we get an adverse comment from someones pride and joy, and to give any sound advise other than buy a Harrison is pointless. :)

Back