• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Thoughts on rod selection.

John Carter

Hi everyone.
I am currently looking at the numerous options available for rod upgrade.
I am replacing my ancient John Wilson Avon Quiver twin tip 1.25lb rods.
I am thinking the Freespirit Barbel Gold rods in 1.75lb tc.
I would really appreciate your thoughts on these rods, or any alternative recommendations
in the same sort of price bracket before I pull the trigger.
The majority of my fishing is on the Swale but I am also thinking maybe the occasional trip to the Trent.

Cheers.

John.

Off the shelf rods, there's some good ones out there. Daiwa infinity 1.75, martin bowlers 1.75, kodex twin tip to name a few. Best advice try before you buy and make sure theres some grunt in the butt, cos you may need it.

I use nothing but free spirits have yet to find anything that I think personally comes close but then again I haven’t tried everything on the market.. the free spirit barbel tamers are great rods for the money .... I know the Harrison torrix are highly regarded but they are way out of that price range and if I was spending that money I would go for the Hi s

Are 1.75’s up to the job for the Swale and Trent.
two of the most powerful rivers in the country with a drop of water on them. I think I’d be looking at something 2lb plus.
freespirts are good rods, I personally prefer the S to the Hi S from the very breif waggles I’ve had with them. I’m a Harrison man myself but it’s such an individual preference thing. Definitely go waggle a few before busting open the wallet.

I think I have said it before on here but I am convinced Free Spirit would sell more rods if they had more dealers but maybe they are restricted by supply. I have a pair of the "Spirit Barbel" 2.25lb TC which are my go to big water/floodwater rods. I carry my rods made up either banded together, in a quiver or 2 rod sleeve so I like the double legged rings. The Tamers have single legs which I would bend very quickly. I am likely to upgrade my current 1.75's to Free Spirits next season.

I find their range a bit confusing too so here is a link to the ones I am describing. https://johnsonrosstackle.co.uk/fre...5584-free-spirit-spirit-barbel-gold-rods.html

I am not connected to that supplier in anyway but can say that their service is excellent, they hold good stocks and there is a small discount if you purchase more than one rod

By the way, don't get rid of your JW Avon Quiver rods, you would be sorry.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input Richard. Going for something with a little more backbone is in my thoughts but I don't want to risk taking away some of the enjoyment of the battle by overgunning. I do have a set of Century Armalite mkII's in storage which would probably do me if I needed a bit extra.
They are 12' 2.75 TC but have become a lot softer after years of use.

Thanks John. That is the link I was considering the purchase from. And I will never get rid of the Wilsons.

Back