• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

THis must really have caused some eyebrow raising 🤣🤣

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
522240FB-AF83-496A-A2E4-2D991853CB6E.jpeg

David

I’ve had decent sized pike swim under rods before in summer when they are hunting in shallow water.
What’s more annoying is when they stop and just sit there. It’s almost as if they know your next bite could be their next meal. 🤣

I’ve had decent sized pike swim under rods before in summer when they are hunting in shallow water.
What’s more annoying is when they stop and just sit there. It’s almost as if they know your next bite could be their next meal. 🤣
I have had that happen as well Richard, I had a pike of about 18 lbs do that, it snatched a roach I was winding in, I managed to land it with the help of a companion, as the hook had ended up in its scissors. I rested it and then returned it about 50 yards along the bank.
Ten mins later the same fish was back under my rod waiting for its next snack. Very identifiable as it had a sort of glaucoma in its left eye.

David

I have had that happen as well Richard, I had a pike of about 18 lbs do that, it snatched a roach I was winding in, I managed to land it with the help of a companion, as the hook had ended up in its scissors. I rested it and then returned it about 50 yards along the bank.
Ten mins later the same fish was back under my rod waiting for its next snack. Very identifiable as it had a sort of glaucoma in its left eye.

David
It happened twice to me in a weir pool on the G Ouse the season before last.
1st time I actually saw the pike swim and sit under my rod which I forgot was there till I hooked a decent eel then it snatched it and cut me off
Second time (another day) I didn’t even see it there till I hooked a chub and it snatched that too and ripped the poor thing from the hook. In both cases I landed nothing

The fish was probably making sure that all the rods, reels, handles spool loading , drop backs etc were all perfectly lined up. After all, what self respecting Carp would allow itself to be caught on a three rod set up that was not matched to the nth degree .

David
Legend has it, he carries a laser level.

This is Aerial ,she loves to flaunt herself under carp anglers rods , just over 20lb. She is a real traveller I caught her 3 miles downstream of here on a river back in 2018. The lakes outflow is broken and she comes down every Summer to visit.

Attachments

• Aerial in Troy.jpg
    Aerial in Troy.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 148
Back