• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The River Teme Barbel PHD Project.

Bobby Baker

Attention fellow anglers!

I'm sure quite a few of you have had the pleasure of fishing the Teme over the years and still do so. Do you keep records or have any old ones tucked away in the loft? Could you help out if so? Anything caught over the next couple seasons would be great if you could log too. Please get involved.

'This research project is investigating the fisheries of the River Teme, focussing on European barbel. As sampling the river's fish community can be challenging, we are also collecting angler catch data. To help us, please complete the form below.
If you have any further questions about the survey before filling it in then please contact: Catie Gutmann Roberts (cgutmannroberts@bournemouth.ac.uk)
This project is being carried out at Bournemouth University in collaboration with The Severn Rivers Trust, The Barbel Society and the Environment Agency'.

http://www.barbelsociety.co.uk/index.php/teme-angler-catch-questionairre/

Then struggle we must. :) There are still quite a few spread around. Far from what is was though and the whole river can seem devoid of any fish at times. Hence the population study. If you've got any old catch logs then please take the time to input if you can. Every little helps :)

Why not the Bristol Avon?

Well that's going to be a job and a half...I've got records (air/water temp, weights, bait, session length, water clarity, stretch, etc etc etc) for about 400 sessions between 2002 and 2012. That'll take a bit of transposing from my format onto those forms!!
ATVB
Terry

Hiya Clive,

The BS are currently working with the Bristol Avon Rivers Trust and also helping with the funding of habitat work. Detailed updates will be posted online and put in the newsletter as it unfolds.

Terry! I'm pretty sure Catie would be happy to analyse the logs, could you please send me a sample and I'll pass it on for viewing. Your data will be invaluable mate, hope you can help!

I'm glad Bobby if that's the case as I've just trawled 3 years of there work which mainly consists of trout streams birds and otters. Let's hope they do have an interest in the Bristol Avon middle reaches as that is where the barbel predominantly did well.

The records from Terry will be invaluable in building up a picture of catch rates over the years, and am certain that the student will find them extremely useful, many thanks Terry, exactly what is needed!
As Bobby says, past records and catch returns from now on are part of the study, and any information about the river will be gratefully received.The study will also look at changes in populations of other species, location and quality of spawning areas, invertebrate sampling and possibly some barbel tracking.
Contact details are on the catch return form.

Back