• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The River Somme

Matthew Goulding

Chaps

I'm going to be holidaying on the Somme in early June between Amiens and Abbeville. I've read that there are some barbus in there so plan to pack the gear. I wondered if anyone on here has any experience of fishing it?

Grateful for any info.

Cheers

Matt

Hi men,

Iv asked about France before , but info is thin on the ground as the French don't take them serious . Iv seen some caught on carp videos , and there are a few ex-pats fishing for them . I also predict that there will be guided barbel holidays being advertised before long !.

Hatter

Thanks for the replies so far guys

From what I understand there are plenty of bream, some barbel, chub and also a variety of predators, pike, zander, cats. I would also expect roach and eels. I haven't had a chat with anyone who has fished it though...

Hi Matthew,

A few years ago I bought a book called Peche Francaise by Phil Pembroke. It's a bit dated and not great but covers the area you mention. I don't know it myself, but it seems that Cats around Ailly-sur-somee and Amiens. it does also mention night fishing areas, with carp to 21.75 k.g, from the canal section to the north. there are also lots of lakes in the area.

If you PM me, I'll post it to you - don't get your hopes up - but it may help. I won't be needing it for a while.

"Is night fishing allowed on the Somme"

Yes , like most French rivers there is either full access depending on the time of year or certain sections where night fishing is allowed. You simply ask locally when buying your licence.

Back