• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Otters Next Victim

Andrew Boyne

Otters. Well! - know the general public might listen!! They've seen the cute and cudly creatures on Spring Watch - they've seen them playing in the water and now they are watching them munch through £1000's of pet Koi! AT article - page 2 of this weeks rag!!!!

I've felt the pain of you guys who've suffered badly, not having experienced it myself, but i'm both an Angler and Fish Keeper and can understand the poor guys feelings who'd lost his pet fish having reared them from fingerlings for over 20 years.

What next? When will something be done - that isn't illegal? My Tabby has done me proud protecting his fish from Herons and such like but i wouldnt back him in a fight with a dog Otter - wouldn't want him to try either! The 12 Bore will would be my bet for a win!

Even natural england and the EA have started to realise the damage otters are doing but as for culling them then thats not going to happen legally as they are protected by european law...But alas like most laws they do get broken..;)

The question is - has the message got home as to why otters are praying on pet fish? Lack of natural food!

Natural England and the EA should know this - simple ecology - the system cannot at the moment support the number of top end predators in the system - either fix the system or cull the top end predators. The balance has slipped and it's only going to get worse.

Ive said this before regarding where will the otter turn to next once rivers cant substain them due to lack of food and over crowding..Ive read that the rspca are concerned regarding orphan otters turning up due to being driven out of already over crowded otter terrortories..they have even said it would be kinder to put them down than to try and reintroduce somewhere else because they will either starve or be killed by already resident dog otters...Congratulations to natural england and the otter trust for such a brilliant job oh and many thanks to the EA for using part of the licence money for helping to reintroduce the otter...:rolleyes:

Pet fish, what next!? It's only a matter of time before they start attacking children sleeping in their beds!

I think the only way forward is to kill every animal on earth, apart from the ones we hunt, catch, eat, keep as pets etc, only then can we all sleep soundly.

Spent an afternoon other day on low River Dane watching a pair of mink take at least four ducklings to feed their young. Wonder what they kill in a season fish including...?

Shame we can't arrange for Mr. Miles to be on hand with his video camera to film the 'nice cuddly' otters when they are killing pet koi or baby ducklings because they have already eaten everything else available...that may at least give the morons responsible for this ill thought out nonsense pause for thought :mad:

I doubt it though...people are great at not seeing what is staring them in the face, when they are responsible for the problems they see :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

The Chairman on Friday

Subject: Vermin

Make them work at their local B&Q or showing folk around one's stately home until at least the age of eighty, I say.

As ever,

B.B.

"The Beauchamps - Never In It Together (God Forbid!) Since 1066"

Pet fish, what next!? It's only a matter of time before they start attacking children sleeping in their beds!

I think the only way forward is to kill every animal on earth, apart from the ones we hunt, catch, eat, keep as pets etc, only then can we all sleep soundly.

No No! Run wild, run free! Perhaps you'ld like to offer up your back garden as an experimental site for the re-introduction of wolves and bears Rhys! :D:rolleyes:

The Chairman on Friday

Subject: Might be of help

My Head Gardener, Silas, had a problem with slugs in one of our walled gardens. Kevin found him something to tackle the problem.

deer-hunter-tournament-01-490.jpg

As ever,

B.B.

Sheeeesh :eek:...you could take out an otter from ten miles away with that, thereby avoiding having your collar felt for your dastardly act :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Better idea...Ban whining anglers and fish keepers..and let the otters do what comes naturally...
There's only one animal on this planet that is a real threat to everything...breeding out of hand and ruining it's and others environments.
Let's try and guess what it is????????????????????????????:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Back