• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Mystical Barbel... Andy Orme ( Barbel Fishing river Teme )

Graham Tremble

Hi Guys,
Came across this video on YouTube. This must have been recorded at least 30 years ago ( probably longer ). I don't mind admitting that this brought a lump to my throat as this is a 'snap shot in time 'of another age when the river was simply 'teeming' with fish. Not a 'how to catch them' video , more a 'enjoy it while you can' instruction. I was there and did just that, so sad to see how it has deteriorated as a coarse fishing river. Still , please have a look and imagine a 'time gone by'. Enjoy your fishing while you can, things change and not always for the better.
Regards,
G.T.

Thanks for that heads-up. Just had a quick scan and it looks pretty good. Loving the standard 80’s fishing production soundtrack and Somewhere-Down-The-River narration style. I‘ve never fished the Teme so can’t share your nostalgia for the place but certainly do share it for the times. Happier, less troubled and simpler times.

On my watch list for later.

P.S.
Just found another gem....
Andy Orme-Barbel Fishing- Hunting for Barbel....again on youtube
Might only appeal to 'those of a certain age'
That's definitely me but hope others can enjoy it too
G.T.

The mythical barbel would be a more appropriate title these days. Despite my best efforts its been several years since I last saw one :(

poor Gill, she almost died with a Brain Tumor, she is still with us but, in a wheelchair and blind, Andy is having a blissful existence on the banks of the Hampshire Avon with his beautiful daughter Lily, after many years living in Africa Andy has now found solace back in the UK, I used to fish on the opposite bank to Andys Haven fishery, we both had many doubles off the Teme, this period was the mid 1990's....the Teme is not even a shadow of what it was....but we are both grateful we saw the river at its best, a river that was recognised at that time as being in the top five of barbel rivers in the country, we thought at the time it was only a matter of time before a record barbel came out.....nothing lasts forever

poor Gill, she almost died with a Brain Tumor, she is still with us but, in a wheelchair and blind, Andy is having a blissful existence on the banks of the Hampshire Avon with his beautiful daughter Lily, after many years living in Africa Andy has now found solace back in the UK, I used to fish on the opposite bank to Andys Haven fishery, we both had many doubles off the Teme, this period was the mid 1990's....the Teme is not even a shadow of what it was....but we are both grateful we saw the river at its best, a river that was recognised at that time as being in the top five of barbel rivers in the country, we thought at the time it was only a matter of time before a record barbel came out.....nothing lasts forever
Hi Lawrence, sorry to hear about Gill, very sad indeed. You don't know me but I'm sure you would occasionally walk past where I was fishing at Cotheridge some evenings in the 90's?
G.T.

Hi Lawrence, sorry to hear about Gill, very sad indeed. You don't know me but I'm sure you would occasionally walk past where I was fishing at Cotheridge some evenings in the 90's?
G.T.

More than likely Graham, I fished Cotheridge a lot and had a lot of good barbel from there....happy days indeed, but sad now when a see it, Broadwas, Cotheridge, Knightwick, Brockamin, Lindridge....all these places have memories of epic barbel for me and Andy

Back