• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Kennet Cray Trapper

Will,

Are there anglers brave enough to fish Calcot at night?????

I used to fish it at night a LOT. Lived on Beansheaf and would walk across the railway - and usually head right up to the Arrowhead - never personally had a problem in nearly 2 decades of fishing the place. Not night fished it since we moved from Calcot in 2003.....

C.

Pete, bailiffing Calcot at night is something we dread, lots of bizzare happenings.

One night, midnight, middle of summer, not a soul for miles, we then stumbled upon what I can only describe as a micro village of people doing all sorts of things.
With the lighting and all it looked like something from a section of 'the garden of earthly delights' By Hieronymus Bosch.

Bosch.....what, you mean they were drilling each other :eek:

:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I used to fish it at night a LOT. Lived on Beansheaf and would walk across the railway - and usually head right up to the Arrowhead - never personally had a problem in nearly 2 decades of fishing the place. Not night fished it since we moved from Calcot in 2003.....

C.[/QUOTE

Night fished Calcot the last couple of season's and never saw anything unusual. Always a bit creepy at the Arrowhead though...felt like I was being watched..

BOO!!:D

I've not fished anywhere down that way in years. Is the arrowhead the bit where the river and canal join by Theale Lagoon? If so I once night fished it when I was a teenager. Caught some good bream up to 8lb as well as some small barbel. There was a huge mound of earth at the end of the lane to stop cars and travellers from getting in. Didn't work though. Part of the way through the night a big group of older kids came over with a car and motorbike. Luckily they either didn't see us or had more pressing things to attend to.

BTW Julian, for some reason I cannot reply to your PM. It says that either your settings are blocking them or the admins have blocked them.

I fish Calcot at night sometimes on my own but prefer being 'double crewed', it is generally worth a fish or two especially at the top. There is always a sense of trepidation watching the motorbikes racing down the south bank, foot traffic below Hissey Bridge and all manner of weirdos! The Arrow Head on the North Bank feels safe enough but there is always a worry about the car parking and getting back out onto Mill Lane.

Pete, bailiffing Calcot at night is something we dread, lots of bizzare happenings.

One night, midnight, middle of summer, not a soul for miles, we then stumbled upon what I can only describe as a micro village of people doing all sorts of things.
With the lighting and all it looked like something from a section of 'the garden of earthly delights' By Hieronymus Bosch.

A fair number of exceptional (and very ordinary) Kennet barbel were taken by some very fine, fun-loving barbel anglers in very similar circumstances years and years ago. They left without leaving the merest hint of their presence or of their activities. Some, doubtless, went on to breed and, sadly, spawned today's oh-so disapproving Sport Police.

A fair number of exceptional (and very ordinary) Kennet barbel were taken by some very fine, fun-loving barbel anglers in very similar circumstances years and years ago. They left without leaving the merest hint of their presence or of their activities. Some, doubtless, went on to breed and, sadly, spawned today's oh-so disapproving Sport Police.

Yes Paul, I was there!

Regards

Hugo

Back