• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Haven Fishery

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I've recently finished a website refresh for long time friend/supporter of BFW, Richard, who runs the Haven on the Teme and also the stretch at Knightwick.

Here's the new website:

I love The Haven, I've spent some great weekends camping and fishing there.

Andy

Hi all,

I've recently finished a website refresh for long time friend/supporter of BFW, Richard, who runs the Haven on the Teme and also the stretch at Knightwick.

Here's the new website:

I love The Haven, I've spent some great weekends camping and fishing there.

Andy
Nice website Andy 👍 Having never fished the Teme and having heard the horror stories about it being “ottered” can I ask if it’s still viable as a Barbel river or should I be thinking other species?

Bill, there are still a few in there, its def worth a go as long as you don't expect 6 fish a day. The Teme is one of the most beautiful rivers you'll ever fish imo, but understand its a spate river with very steep banks so the conditions can very wildly, difficult to fish when its really high.
Many thanks Cliff 👍

Nice website Andy 👍 Having never fished the Teme and having heard the horror stories about it being “ottered” can I ask if it’s still viable as a Barbel river or should I be thinking other species?

I haven't fished it for many years Bill (pre kids) so can't comment on barbel population.

Claire and I used to camp on the Haven and loved the peace and quiet. It's really stunning.

The Teme barbel are the hardest fighting fish I've ever caught. I'll never forget hooking one in front of a couple of other people, felt like a good fish and was stuck to the bottom for ages, I was making a right meal of it...When I eventually got it in the net it was about 5lb!! I was slightly embarrassed!!

I haven't fished it for many years Bill (pre kids) so can't comment on barbel population.

Claire and I used to camp on the Haven and loved the peace and quiet. It's really stunning.

The Teme barbel are the hardest fighting fish I've ever caught. I'll never forget hooking one in front of a couple of other people, felt like a good fish and was stuck to the bottom for ages, I was making a right meal of it...When I eventually got it in the net it was about 5lb!! I was slightly embarrassed!!
Many thanks Andy 👍

Yes, can very much second what Andy has written. I've fished both Haven stretches, though not for a few years now. Both beautiful places to fish and I caught a fair few. Richard's a nice chap too.

I can go back further when Jill and Andy Orme ran the stretch, But I generally fished the opposite bank on the BAA side on their Brokamin stretch I had numerous doubles from there back in the 1990's, up to 13.10, with a few 11's 12's thrown in with some lovely back up Teme Tigers thrown in, it is a beautiful stretch.

L
I can go back further when Jill and Andy Orme ran the stretch, But I generally fished the opposite bank on the BAA side on their Brokamin stretch I had numerous doubles from there back in the 1990's, up to 13.10, with a few 11's 12's thrown in with some lovely back up Teme Tigers thrown in, it is a beautiful stretch.
Lol.
I Also fished Brokamin, I had a couple of anglers for Kennet Guiding..
One of them, was the Son of the Farmer that owned the bit by the railway bridge section, upstream I think of BA.

There were no swims made, you had to cut your way through.

Lots of doubles. In fact most fish were over 9lb.

Anywhere there was a bit of cover over the water, they were there.

Happy days.

Back