• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Expert By Graham Elliott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Expert

By Graham Elliott

I knew this water like the back of my hand. Hadn’t I won the Specimen Cup three times in the last 4 years? Respect - I had it from my fellow anglers, they whispered as I passed, surely they said, "that’s Bill Witham, you know? The Expert"

Yes, I was good, I knew where the fish held up, had studied the water in my spare time, and in honesty in my work time. I guess I had studied it and fished even in my family time, when I had one that is. But, you don’t get where you are today, on the top, leading edge specimen angler without a few sacrifices do you?

My picture had adorned all the top fishing magazines, top roach, top barbel, top just about everything - sorry, excuse the chuckle.

One thing I had learned though was that success breeds, well followers, and watchers, not that I minded of course, well they average angler has to learn doesn’t he? Just like Mr Beckham has his fan club and followers, well so did I, not surprising really, being an Expert in my chosen field.

Well today I would give them another lesson in prime skill and the art of catching fish, bloody amateurs!

They were watching as I set up my rod, no doubt wishing they could see in detail my rig and bait, They could see my bait anyhow, the one I had laid out by my feet anyway, the one I never used!

That’s the thing about being an expert, got to keep one step ahead of the game and be the best. Let them ponce about flinging pink stuff around on a funny reel made for, what’s it called rolling? Got to keep ahead of the game, that’s why I’m an Expert.

There they are now, all watching where I am going to cast, far bank, yes, but tweaked along to come on the inside under my feet, that’s fooled them. Yes, I’m an Expert.

The bank crumbled, I slipped down and twisted my ankle as I fell head first into the water. Everyone laughed, all along the bank, no one came to help me. It was reported in the angling magazines. I am still an Expert. To me anyway. I hear the laughter in the night. Most nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back